1.3-OBSERVANT

CATCHING FIRE
"THE GAME"

1.3

"OBSERVANT"   

—— WHEN IRENE FIRST JOINED TRAINING back during the 66th Hunger Games, she was quiet

—— WHEN IRENE FIRST JOINED TRAINING back during the 66th Hunger Games, she was quiet. No one paid any attention to the girl who sat in the corner and watched them. Not even the spectators who were watching them. Her small hands would fiddle with the puzzle she created using scraps.

She was observant. Taking it all in to quench her thirst for knowledge.

Which was how she managed to win her game.

Irene studied them like lab rats.

However, she couldn't use the same tactics now that everyone in this room knows who she was and what she's capable of. She needed to socialize with others and worm her way into their mind, to show them that she too was capable of getting her hands dirty in order to win. Irene was not the same little girl when she first joined. No, she's grown into a young woman with knowledge and critical thinking as her lethal weapon.

Putting her hair up in a low ponytail, Irene walked into the room and toward the table full of weapons. As every weapon piqued her interest, her eyes settled on a pair of butterfly knives. She lifted one up and examined it, the light glinting against the blade before swiftly twisting her body and throwing the knife straight toward the target. Mere seconds from hitting Finnick who lifted his hands as surrender.

"Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed." He muttered as he walked up to her. "Knives? I thought you'd go for something bigger?" Finnick wondered. He picked up the trident and twirled it around. "What'd you think about this baby."

"Too heavy." Irene shook her head, clearly missing the playful tease in his voice. "It'll slow me down."

"Well, I didn't say you would be the one to use it." He sighed. The two went toward the practice targets and began practicing. "I thought you would sit this one out? You know like last time, sitting in the dark corner and creepily watching people as they train?"

"It's called being observant." Irene rolled her eyes as she corrected him. "And no. They know how I work now, the least I could do is to switch things up." She threw another knife and watched it hit the centre, along with the rest.

Finnick whistled in amusement. "Lethal and pretty."

Irene couldn't help but let out a snort. "What's beauty without brains?" The two of them laughed, but only for a moment when they realized that they were being watched, and they were back to focusing on their targets. From the corner of her eye, she saw District 12 girl on fire walking towards Beetee and Wiress, and curiosity spread within her as she narrowed her eyes on them.

Finnick noticed that she had stopped and turned to her, and upon seeing her focus on the three tributes, he could see the gears turning in her head and smirked.