six- "Day 1"

THE BALLAD OF SONGBIRDS AND SNAKE;

SNAKES

Chapter six

"Day 1."

——She fought exhaustion as she slid out of her bed and into the bathroom

——She fought exhaustion as she slid out of her bed and into the bathroom. Scrubbing the dirt and thin sheet of cold sweat off her skin. Black tendrils cascaded behind her back as water dripped from the ends and down on the pristine floor. Arson splashed the water on her face when her fingers accidentally brushed her lips.

Heat flowed to her face as she recalled what happened last night. She could still feel his lips on hers.

'I kissed him'. Arson thought bashfully.

She wasn't sure whether she should be proud of it (as much as she would like to) considering the encounter she had afterwards with her dearest friend.

Before

  Arson gave Zephyr one last embrace, at least that's what they liked to think it was, before pulling herself away from him. "Good luck tomorrow." She whispered. Pressing her lips on his cheek to bid him farewell and then walked away. Her skin still felt electrified from his touch.

The night was silent except for her shoes tapping on the concrete as she walked. Arson ran her fingers through her untamed hair. Though not long after she left the area, the dark haired girl was pulled aside with her back pushed against the tree and hands holding her arms to her side.

"What–"

"I thought we were to have our tributes connected to the Capitol, not start a romantic relationship with them." Coriolanus whispered harshly. The moon shining above them shadowed him, his tall lean figure towering over her.

Arson's lips twisted into a frown, not appreciating the close proximity they're in. "What are you talking about, Coryo?" She hissed. She brought her hands up as much as her arms let her and attempted to push him off but to no avail, the blonde was too strong.

"Besides, weren't you doing the same thing with Lucy Gray?"

She watched him roll his eyes and let out an exasperated sigh. "That was nothing. You said it yourself, it no longer takes one to win the Plinth Prize, but two." Coriolanus reminded her. "What's concerning is the fact that you're cozying up with a person that'll be dead hours from now."

It was her turn to roll her eyes at him. "Give Zephyr the benefit of the doubt." She snapped. Finally, Arson was able to rip her arms from his tight grip and moved aside, crossing her arms over her chest in the process. But as she walked away from him, he joined her with his fists clenched tightly on his sides. Arson glanced at him warily, anxiety began to flood her system as she noticed his presence had come out of nowhere. "How much did you hear?" Arson tensely questioned.