Part 2 "SNAKES"

THE BALLAD OF SONGBIRDS AND SNAKE;

SNAKES

Part two

'I know that the moment you step into the arena, the future will be undetermined.

We won't know if we get to see each other again, be in this existence or the afterlife.

But whatever happens, I still stand on my words and promise.

I will try – till my fingers bleed of anxiety, to help you win from the outside.

Trust me.'

—A

  She stared at the blank well, emotionless

  She stared at the blank well, emotionless. Her right arm felt numb, dressed in white gauze to cover the disfigured hand as the skin had darkened from the burn. The nurses expressed if she had been in that fire far longer than before, they would have to amputate it.

Her once warm brown eyes now reflected the colour of the flames that were long extinguished. The pyromaniac within her stirred as her mind replayed the event over and over again. Like a beast yearning to spark a fire on the cold earthed ground, to start chaos amidst the treacherous 'calming' sea.

Why was the hunger games resumed?

Do they not care for the injured, including their own?

Somewhere in this building, Felix was unconscious. Fighting for his life after the rebel bombing as the president had told her. Beside her, Coriolanus laid asleep in his bed.

And somewhere, out there in the Capitol Zoo, contained the boy she had slowly grown fond of. The boy who had found himself a home in her lonely heart.

She had missed Zephyr's showcase when she woke up from her slumber.

But from what Tigris and Sejanus had told her, he'd done a good job presenting his strength, social skills, and performance; a song silently dedicated to his mentor, not caring for the aftermath it would bring. The donations for him placed somewhere between Reaper and Lucy Gray.

'A blooming love between a mentor and her tribute.'

What was he thinking?

Meanwhile he sits in his cage, thinking back to what he'd just done during the interview. His hands gripped on the paper she had written to him prior to everything that had happened.

"Lover of mine

Maybe we'll take some time"

The Capitol may think that he was singing to his lover somewhere outside in district 1. But he was singing to the one girl who'd tried to ease his experience in the Capitol before the games. The girl who'd promised to save him from the grasps of death, holding onto his hand before he could fall into the darkest void until he reaches rock bottom.

She has the mind of a kaleidoscope. He had painted her in red and blue, conflicted by her choices and presence as her own person or a loyal soldier.  He wanted to know more about her. She was something he couldn't help but marvel at as if she was made to be studied.

To appreciate.

To love.

A whirlwind of a chaotic, fiery mess.

If the hunger games were not going to be the death of him...

Then she would be his downfall.