2.12-A Rose By Any Other Name

MOCKINGJAY PART 1
"THE SECRET"

2.12

"A Rose By Any Other Name"

——A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME would still smell as sweet

Irene begged to differ.

She's toxic. Poisonous.

She was just like him.

An exact replica.

At least that's what her father said.

Yes... Coriolanus Snow was indeed her father.

How does she know this? She was a fool to not think it sooner. The moment President Snow had taken her in, was the moment she knew there was more to offer than what was told. He didn't just want her to be his soldier, he wanted her to stay by his side as his daughter.

She'd rather die.

Irene didn't remember what happened after they had pulled her out of the arena. All she could remember was the bright lights and the cold surface she was lying on. She remembered feeling numbed, not being able to move her face for a while until one of the doctors told her she had a scar just beneath her eye. A bit small, but nevertheless, it was there.

Then they took her somewhere else. To a room she was familiar with. The room where she had met Finnick during her 18th. She remembered being locked in that room for days, only avoxes were allowed to enter to bring her food and get her ready for the day. Then after 2 weeks, she was finally allowed to leave her room with the condition that she was being escorted by some of the peacekeepers. There weren't many places she would go except for the library and the garden, though at night when everyone was asleep, she would sneak out and walk around the Capitol, not caring for her life.

However, after Snow's 'announcement' regarding her being his daughter, everything changed. The people of the Capitol began treating her like royalty yet there were some who were hesitant now that they knew the true power Snow holds. But Irene tried to pretend not to care. She'd done it once. She could do it again.

"I am your father, Irene, and you will do as I say." Snow sternly told her.

Afterwards, she spat on his face as they dragged her away back to her room. Till now she still does not know how they are even possibly related. It hurt her head to think so much.

Now she stood next to Peeta, whose face sunken and complexion paler than ever. Irene had heard of what they did, to Peeta, to Johanna, to Annie, and the tributes they had taken from their home districts.

But just because Irene was now renowned as a Snow, doesn't mean he does not punish his own.

The chain on her ankle said otherwise.