fifteen-"Wait For Me"

THE BALLAD OF SONGBIRDS AND SNAKE;PHOENIX

PHOENIX

Chapter 15
"Wait for me."

——Lucy Gray sat on her couch, observing the small living room and stood up when she saw something on the shelf, and made her way towards it. A picture frame sat comfortably and shown on it was of a girl with dark hair and eyes that matched the shade of her hair. Her sun kissed skin after bathing in the sun covered by the yellow sundress that hugged her figure and curves. A tanned arm wrapped around her middle and Lucy Gray saw its owner to be a shirtless boy with curly wet hair sticking to his forehead. A smile gracing his features as he was holding the girl up.

The moment was captured wholeheartedly and radiated warmth and love.

Arson and Zephyr looked so happy.

The songbird frowned. How did it go so wrong?

Footsteps entered the room. "Thank goodness the kettle was already heated, or else we might as well have cold tea." Arson quipped. She placed the tray down and sat on the couch, patting the space next to her for Lucy Gray to sit.

Lucy Gray took a sip of the tea and sighed when the hot liquid went down her throat, reliving some tensions. Trying to survive in the wild wasn't easy as she thought but she had made it this far to keep standing with some little energy she had left. Her only source of comfort were the nature around her and the sound of her voice, but after years of singing, her throat became sore and singing brought coldness and loneliness to her.

So when she heard of rumors regarding the president's ward disappearance and presence in certain districts, she sought to find her. Lucy Gray almost lose hope until she crossed the border to district 4 and overheard a fisherman talking about a woman living by the sea with her team of researchers, and it didn't took her long to figure out who he had meant.

As she gazed at the young woman in front of her, she noticed how much Arson had changed. Gone was the dark silky hair, but was replaced by white though she could see strands of black at the bottom layer of her hair. Face losing its fat, making bone structure became prominent. Her skin smeared with charcoal from drawings which she assumed, and when she glanced down, Lucy Gray could see the bandages wrapped around her fingers.

However, what changed the most was the colour of her eyes. Long gone was the youth that used to accompany her dark eyes, instead replaced by emptiness as the once warm chocolate became lighter. Slowly draining out of her.

Irene Arson had simply grown into a beautiful, broken, young woman though Lucy Gray knew she was still the same strong girl she'd once met during the hunger games.

"How are you, Lucy Gray?" Arson asked her. Placing her scarred hand on hers and gently squeezing them.

Lucy Gray gave her a small reassurance smile. "I'm alright now that I finally found you. The world is scary when you're out all alone but I found comfort in mother nature for a moment of time." She said, "You have a very lovely home."