Say yes

It's the next morning, and the boat is nearing shore and Alexander is showering as I'm choosing what to wear for the day. I pick a sexy off-the-shoulder sweater and a skirt with long boots.

The boat docks and the only thing on my mind is this Jamie woman. I should be thinking about what Alexander asked me, but I can't get her out of my head for some reason, probably for good reason too.

"Have you thought any more about what I asked you last night?" Alexander asks as he walks into the cabin with a towel wrapped around his waist. We slept together in his cabin, despite me having my own.

"A little. I told you I need to think about it," I reply but walk over to him, kiss his lips, and run my fingers along the edge of the towel.

He walks over to the closet and says, "I told you I would give you a job. You're still interested, right?"

"Um, yeah. Of course I am."

"Come to my office tomorrow morning at 8. Joe can pick you up."

"I can get a cab," I say.

"No. Joe will pick you up," he says, his tone stern.

"Lex, it really isn't necessary," I say.

"It is."

"I'm not arguing about this with you, but I'll take a cab, okay?"

As we're walking off the boat, Jamie approaches him and there's something about this woman that makes me very uncomfortable. I'm not quite sure what it is yet.

"Lex, thanks for the invite," she says in a flirty tone as she plays with his shirt collar.

He moves away from her and says, "I didn't invite you. Carol did."

"Oh, well, I'm glad I was here."

"Bye."

As Alexander and I are walking away, she yells, "Let's have dinner!"

He doesn't respond.

"Alexander, who is she to you?"

"She's just someone from my past, an old friend," he says, opening the car door for me.

"Oh."

We get in the car and he says, "I want you to think seriously about what I asked you, okay?"

"I will."

"I'm really glad you came with me, Savannah."

"I am too," I say and place my hand on his where it's resting on the stick shift.

He glances down at my hand and the side of his mouth curves up.

"Joe will be at your apartment in the morning around 7:45."

"Lex, no. I can take a cab."

"I'm done negotiating this," he says.

"Me too."

We drive for a few minutes in silence before I say, "Can you drop me off at my friend's office? I told her we would have lunch before we go to class at 1."

He seems hesitant to do it.

"Alexander?"

"Why?"

"I just told you."

He nods and drives on, but I'm curious how he knows where to go.

"Alexander, do you need directions?"

"No."

"How do you know where to go?"

"I know where Jenna works."