Jim Taylor's Boss

"Hi," I say as I walk into the casting agency for my first day on the job. "I'm here to see Aidan Barlowe."

"Are you Savannah?" the young woman at the desk says to me.

"I am."

"Have a seat right there. Mr. Barlowe will be right with you."

I go over to the chairs on the wall and wait as I nervously tap my fingers against my brown bag. I glance down at the outfit I chose, wondering if the light green sweater and gray plaid skirt combo I picked out is good enough for the day. I've had jobs before, but this feels like my first real grownup job. While I'm waiting, I get a text. I roll my eyes when I see it's Alexander.

Sighing, I tuck my phone back into my purse

"Savannah?" Aidan says walking over to me and extending his hand.

I stand and shake his hand. "Hi, Mr. Barlowe."

"Please, call me Aidan."

I'm not really sure what to say and I follow him through the small rectangular-shaped office with several desks placed throughout, and he taps a desk and says, "This is you. Feel free to leave your things here and I'll show you the rest of the office."

I place my purse in the drawer but put my phone in my pocket and follow him as he continues past my desk.

"This is where Bethany works. She's in charge of advertising and comes in only three days a week," he says and points to a desk across from mine. "Moving on," he says, "That room over there is my office." He points to the door on the far end of the office with dark windows and blinds drawn. "I'm usually here, but some days I work out of my home office, and some days I am at the theater." He glances back at me and says, "C'mon, I'll show you the lunch room and where we make our java."

As we're walking to the back, he says, "I need to apologize to you."

"Why?"

"I wasn't able to offer you the pay I had promised after our first meeting."

He opens a door for me to walk into the break room. "Here's the break area where we keep our fridge and coffee bar. There's a bathroom through there."

"What did you mean about not being able to offer me the right pay?"

"Well, I can pay you half of what I offered."

I'm shocked. I need this job. I want this job. It's my dream job. Working for a casting agency is my dream job, but I need better pay. I just nod and continue following him through the office. As I do, I get another text.

Alexander doesn't respond right away, but Aidan's phone rings, and he holds up his finger to let me know he'll be a moment

Alexander doesn't respond right away, but Aidan's phone rings, and he holds up his finger to let me know he'll be a moment. I try listening in on the conversation, but I can't hear the person on the line.

"She started today...she's right here...um, well, I hadn't decided that yet...absolutely... of course."

Aidan hangs up and says, "I have good news for you."

"Oh?"

"It looks like I'll be able to pay you what I had promised after all."

"Because of that phone call?" I ask.

"Yes," he says. "Go ahead and make yourself at home. Help yourself to coffee or whatever you need. I have some business to do in my office. Excuse me."

Feeling very confused and curious, I dial Alexander.

"Hi, gorgeous," he answers.

"What did you do?"

I can almost hear his grin through the phone as he says, "I told you I want to know if you're being treated well. I meant it."

"Alexander, you tell me right now how you have a hold over this agency."

"Oh, that's very simple. See, I own a company called Foyer Briggs. Foyer Briggs owns Sawyer Smiths, which owns Hammond and Gazelle Casting."

"Argh! Alexander! You make me so mad!"

He chuckles.

"Is there anything in the city you don't own?!"

He chuckles again and says, "I think there's a small Subway down the street from you. I don't own that."

"Stop it. I'm done with you."

"Settle down," he says, still laughing.

"So now basically you're my boss."

"Well, no. I'm way higher up the chain than that. Let's say maybe I'm Jim Taylor's boss."

"Who is Jim Taylor?"

"Jim Taylor is the head man down at Gazelle. So he's your boss's boss, and I'm his boss."

"I can't with you!" I say angrier than I've ever been with him.

"Well, the good thing is, now you can sign the contract."

"Goodbye, Lex."

"You called me Lex."

"What does that have to do with anything?"

"You only say that when you're liking me again."

"Oh trust me, I'm not," I say and hang up the phone.