I am MARIE ANTOINETTE

"Okay, Savannah," Simon says as he looks me over before I head onto the stage for the second scene of the first act. "Make me proud, my Marie."

"I will," I say.

I hear my cue and then I hurry onto the stage...

"But he doesn't love me!" I yell as I look out over the crowd of people spotting Alexander in the third row, left aisle seat. I lock eyes with him and he gives me a small smile, blowing me a kiss.

"Marie, settle down," says the cast member playing Marie's mother. "It isn't about love. You will be the Queen of a country! The Queen of France, my dear. That is far more important than love. This is politics."

I walk the stage as the girl playing my maid follows me and I start undressing down to my stage undergarments as I say, "Well, perhaps it should be about love, Mama. You married a complete stranger and you've never been happy. What if Louis has a mistress?"

"Marie, I'm sure he will. All princes do. That won't change your position as his wife. You will marry Prince Louis by the end of the month or else."

"Or else what? What will you do?"

"I will find some way to get back at you, Marie. I promise you that. You will marry him, you will become the queen of France when he takes the throne, and you will produce an heir! It is your duty to produce an heir for the Dauphin of France."

"What happens if I can't? Then what?! I don't want to do this!" I yell. "Please, Mama," I say, tossing myself onto the floor, whimpering. "Mama, I beg of you. Do not make me go."

"You must. The contract with France has been signed," she says.

I pause and look out over the crowd, noticing Jim Taylor sitting suspiciously in the back row. Now I'm nervous because I'm standing on stage in nothing but stockings and a corset with undergarments, and I freeze. My fellow cast member whispers for me to continue, but I say nothing and glance at Alexander with my eyes wide. Once he realizes, he's also on alert and turns to inconspicuously look over the crowd.

"I'm afraid!" Simon whispers from backstage, trying to get me to say my next line.

"Mama, I am afraid," I say, reaching out dramatically to get a reaction from the crowd. 

"It doesn't matter," she says. "This is your duty, Marie," she says and exits the stage.

I begin throwing things across the stage to show Marie's anger with her mother, and as I do, I see Alexander sitting in the back row next to Jim Taylor. I should feel better, but I don't. I feel worse. Thankfully, it's my time to exit the stage. When I leave the stage, Simon is at my side.

"Savannah? Are you okay?" he asks.

"No," I say and sit on the chair immediately beside the stage exit.

"What's going on?"

"I'm just going to be honest with you."

"Please," he says, handing me a bottle of water.

"I've been receiving threats and being followed by someone and he's in the audience right now," I say, holding my hand to my forehead.

"I'll get security on it," he says and turns to walk away.

"No!" I say, probably too loudly considering we're right next to the stage.

"Why not?" Simon asks.

"Just don't. I'm worried what will happen if you do something."

"I can call the police," Simon says.

"Let's just finish the show and wait until after the performance to do anything, okay?" I say.

"Yeah, sure," he says.

The costume girl walks up to me and helps me slip into my next outfit before I hurry onto the stage again.