It's your birthday

I'm rushing around, getting ready for my first day working for Alexander, when I hear a knock at the door. Emberley is already gone, so I go answer it.

"Coming!"

I open the door and there stands Joe. "Uh, hi. Give me a sec."

"Good morning, Ma'am. Here are your keys.." He hands me a set of keys.

"What?"

"From Mr. Holt."

"I'm confused."

"Your car is parked in the garage, Ma'am."

I laugh because I just don't know what else to do.

"You can't be serious."

"I very much am, Ma'am. Your car is parked in the garage. Mr. Holt had it sent for you."

I hold my finger up. "One sec." I run into the kitchen and grab the gift I have for him and the individual-sized birthday cake I made for him. Then I grab my purse and phone and then Joe follows me out the door. As we are walking to the elevator to go to the garage, my phone dings. It's Alexander.

I don't respond because I'm still recovering from the shock I'm in, and when I get to the garage, Joe points to a white car parked in the corner that's reserved for my apartment

"Certainly not," I say.

"That's yours."

"Joe, that's an Audi."

"Mr. Holt only buys the best, Ma'am."

Joe walks away and I stare at this expensive gift, wondering if I should feel flattered or not.

As badly as I want to accept the car, I can't, and I go back to my apartment and tell him to send Joe back for the keys.

He doesn't respond right away and I'm wondering if I've either made my point or upset him. As I sit there waiting for a reply, I debate what to do about the car and wonder what it means. Are we in a relationship? Is he serious about me? That's a lot of money to spend on someone. Maybe not for him though. I think about what a relationship... a serious relationship with him means because of what he told me on the boat and the whole marriage contract. I'm not sure I want to give up school or theater.