On the Road

"Lex," I say as we're packing to leave. "Do you want that blue T-shirt I wore to bed last week?"

"Just put it in your bag with all your things."

He's hardly spoken to me in over a day, and I'm worried about him.

"Alexander," I say, grasping his arm. "Stop."

"We have an hour until we are leaving."

"I know," I say. "But I'm worried about you."

He continues putting things in his bag as he says, "Why?"

"Because I know you're stressed about this."

"I'm fine."

Knowing he's not at all fine, I move closer and wrap my arms around his waist and rest my head against his bare back. I kiss his skin and say, "Lex, it's going to be fine. I'm not leaving you."

"Yet," he says and walks into the bathroom.

"Alexander," I say but I receive no response. "Alexander!"

When he still says nothing, I follow after him, "Alexander, what do you mean?"

"You know what I mean."

"I don't. Please explain it to me."

He stops shaving and turns to look at me, saying, "I'm enough for you right now, but what happens when this play makes you a famous star? What then? What happens when Hollywood producers want to sign you into to movies and more? Will I be enough for you then? No."

I walk over to him, take the razor from his hand and turn his face to look me in the eyes. "Lex, even if all those things did happen, I still want you." Then I kiss his lips.

"If that's true, then you'll sign the contract."

I sigh. "I'll sign the contract with one stipulation."

"Alright."

"You have to propose properly with a ring and everything."

He doesn't say anything and I know he's thinking hard as he returns to shaving.

"I'm gonna finish packing. Are we driving there?" I ask.

"Yeah," he says.

"How long is the drive to Boston?" I say, but when I say that my heart nearly stops as I remember the text I got only days earlier.

"Alexander," I say as he walks out of the bathroom drying his face and slips a shirt over his head.

"What is it?"

"Boston..."

"What about Boston?"

I take my phone from my pocket and show him the text from the unknown number ...

"Look."

Alexander gives an angry sigh and rubs his hand over his face and through his hair

"I'm hiring you some security."

"What?"

"I can't be with you every second of the day, and I have to do some business while you're there, which means you need someone to watch you while I'm not around."

"A babysitter."

"No. Security," he says.

"What about Joe? I already know him," I say.

"No. Joe is only a chauffeur. He isn't security. I know a guy."

"That sounds so shady," I say.

"Oh well, it's happening," he says and walks to the hall, pulling out his phone as he dials a number.

I go to the door to listen in on what he's saying...

"Brady, it's Alexander Holt. Hi, I'm fine. Actually, I'm wondering if you're interested in a job...I'm not sure how long it will be. Um, well, my girlfriend has been receiving threatening messages and has been getting followed around, and now her musical is traveling to Boston and then I'm not even sure where after that, so I'd like to hire you to be sure she's safe. I mean, I'll be there too, but I can't be with her all the time, so that's where you'd come in... yeah. Um, how does a million sound? I can do more if you need or if the job lasts substantially longer..."

A million dollars to protect me?! Alexander is insane...

He walks back into the room and says, "Done. You have security. He'll be meeting us at the hotel in Boston."

I just shake my head at him. "You're insane."