Hopeless

"Savannah," Jocelyn says, walking into the room once the Patrol officer leaves. "I heard a little of what he said. What's going on?"

I shake my head. "I think they're accusing me of something."

"Accusing you? What do you mean?" she asks.

"He said they have evidence to show that his accident wasn't actually an accident or something and that I sent texts to him after I claimed not to and because I stand to inherit a lot of money from his death, they think I sabotaged his car or something..." I sit and start crying. "What should I do?"

Jocelyn bites her lip and says, "You need help...like real help. Doesn't your friend work for an attorney?"

"Yeah. She does. I'll call her and see what she can do." I take my phone out and dial Jenna. 

"Savannah? Hey girl. What's up?" Jenna says.

"Hey. I need your help," I say to Jenna.

"Okay. Sure. What do you need?" Jenna asks.

"I need an attorney."

"Oh. Why? What's going on?"

I sigh. "The police are accusing me of being involved with Alexander's accident."

"What?! That's just nonsense. Why would you even? I'll talk to Mr. Hamline about it. Should we come there or..."

"I'm not leaving until Alexander wakes up, so I guess come here tomorrow," I say. "I'll come to the lobby in the morning when you get here."

"Okay. I'll let you know when we're almost there."

I hang up the phone and lay my head at Alexander's side. 

"What did your friend say?"

"She'll come in the morning with an attorney."

"That's good news!"

"I'm feeling very hopeless," I say to Jocelyn with my head still lying at Alexander's side, thinking of happier times with him.

"It's going to be okay," Jocelyn says, stroking my hair. "I still have hope it's going to be okay."

"Is it? Someone tried to kill him, Joc... You and I both know it wasn't me. Who was it?"

Shaking her head, she says, "I don't know, girl. I don't know."

Tears dripping from my eyes, I say, "Why would anyone want to hurt him? Who would benefit from it?"

Jocelyn shrugs. "Maybe it has something to do with his company? I'm not sure."

"Who else would stand to benefit from his death? We need to find out," I say.

"Maybe you should hire your own investigator. Xander gave you a shared card, didn't he?"

I nod. "Yeah."

"So, you can afford one. Hire someone to do an investigation outside of what the police are looking into."

I turn my head to look at her and say, "Maybe you're right."

Rubbing her hand up and down my back, she says, "I think it would give you peace of mind to know you've covered all bases."

I nod. "Will you find one for me? I don't think I have the strength or the energy to do that right now."

"Of course, I will, sweetie. You leave it to me," she says and walks from the room.

While she's out, I curl up beside Alexander on his bed again, tucking my body close to his, and I cry. Soon, my cries become sobs and I whimper, "Lex, I'm afraid. Please wake up. They think I tried to kill you. I don't know what to do..."

Maybe it's my fear, maybe it's hope, maybe it's love because that's what conquers all, but I swear I feel his fingers move as I clasp his hand in mine. I pull my body closer to his and say, "I love you. I can't do this without you. You're gonna be a daddy."

I lie there for 15 minutes or so with my head on his shoulder as I watch his chest rhythmically rise and fall until Jocelyn returns. 

"Done," she says and sits in the chair next to me. "Did you want to go get some rest? It's pretty late."