He loves money

I'm so mad at him for thinking he can control me that way, I storm off and to Jenna's office that's only a few blocks away. While I'm walking there, of course, Alexander texts me.

I'm so disgusted with him that I don't bother to reply and I keep walking

My stomach is growling though, and I stop at a hot dog vendor and dig through my purse for a few dollars. I could use Alexander's credit card, but I refuse to accept his money right now. I'll find a job.

"What can I get ya?"

"Can I get a hot dog with mustard and relish and a coke?"

"Sure thing," the vendor says and turns to get my food and drink.

As he's making my food, Alexander texts me again.

I slip my phone into my purse and hand the vendor the few dollars I could dig up

I slip my phone into my purse and hand the vendor the few dollars I could dig up. Then I glance around because I'm paranoid Alexander's watching me. But why? Why am I paranoid? He isn't going to hurt me. Is he? Of course he isn't. He isn't the bad guy here. Why am I behaving like he's the bad guy?

I keep walking down the street, eating my hot dog when some girl stops me.

"Are you Savannah?" she says.

"Um, yeah. Do I know you?"

"No. But I know you. Walk with me."

She links her arm around mine and I'm officially weirded out.

"Um, who are you?" I say with a bite of hot dog in my mouth.

"Mariah," she says.

"How do you know me?"

"I know Alexander and I've seen you in the media with him," she says.

My eyes look over at her and she says, "Listen, you should know that Alexander isn't actually looking for a wife."

"What do you mean?"

"I was in a contract with him years ago. It didn't work out," she says.

"Why not?"

"He needs things girls like you can't give him."

"Girls like me? You don't even know me," I say.

She stops suddenly, holding my arm tightly in her hand, and she says, "I'm trying to help you because no one helped me. Stay away from him. His one concern is money. he doesn't love you. He doesn't even care about you. He manipulates women to play his game. That's all. Once you sign the contract, he stops treating you well. It's not you he loves. It's money. How do you think he has gained so much wealth at not even 30 years old? Has he said he loves you?"

I shake my head.

"That's what I thought. Just look in his desk. It's there."

"What's there?"

"All the other contracts."

"But he said..."

"He's a liar. He'll say anything to get his mother's fortune."

"But I thought..."

"His mother was an artist? She was. But her parents were millionaires. Just take it from me, honey. Get out now."

The skinny black-haired woman walks away and I stand there in numbness, wondering if what she said could possibly hold any truth at all.