Family Dynamics - Natasha and Yelena

After I took down the Red Room with my older sisters, Natasha and Yelena, the family was now... different.

All the trauma and pain which had been supressed for so many years had begun to make its way to the surface, like a wound working a foreign body to the surface.

Everything was different now.

We were sitting around the dining table and everyone was too exhausted to pretend like everything was fine.

Even though Dreykov was dead, he still managed to control our lives.

Sitting opposite Natasha at the dark oak table would only be soundless for so long.

"It wasn't they're fault Natasha." I said to her, trying to calm her anguished expression which she could not hide any longer. "Melina and Alexi... they've changed." I continued to try to comfort her but it fell on deaf ears.

Her face hardened and she looked at me, meeting my eyes. Her lips contorted into pure disbelief as I said this and she shook her head.

"I am never going to change. Yelena is never going to change." She began to say calmly before growing harsher and firmer.

I could hear her hiding her pain in her voice as she expertly stopped it from cracking and wavering.

"Melina and Alexi are never going to change. And you are never going to change!" She kept talking as the whole room fell silent and the family watched and listened. "You're never going to stop straining to find one tiny speck of redemption in them and they're never going to stop disappointing you." She raised her voice and I felt totally numb as I knew what she was saying was true.

"You're wrong! You don't know the whole story!" I shouted at Natasha and tears welled in both of our eyes. My voice cracked as I became overrun with emotions.

"I don't want to know the whole story Y/N!" She shouted back as she held back her tears. "I don't want to know anymore excuses or lies that tell me anything other than the way I know it went down." I looked at Natasha, struggling to hide my heartbroken expression.

I just wanted to help.

"Natasha..." Yelena tried to say and diminish the argument but Natasha didn't stop.

"Our mother faked our death. Our father helped traffic us." She said in a calmer voice but her softer tone didn't stop the sting and burn that her words had. "Left their daughters behind, went to prison, started life on a farm and went out of their way to forget us forever." Yelena looked down and grabbed my hand, squeezing it.

Yelena's brows were furrowed and her eyes were watery as her cheeks reddened. 
She was struggling to keep it together.
Just like I was.

"That is the only story that matters Y/N" Natasha said calmer but still her words stabbed into chest and poked and scratched at my already frail heart.

"They... I..." Tears flowed down my cheeks as I knew there was nothing I could say to try and redeem them this time.

"They tossed us aside to be tortured. Without any concern of what would happen to us... as far as I'm concerned, they don't deserve us." Natasha said with an air of confidence that was expertly portrayed.

I silently stood up and went to my room, shutting the door with an eerily calm, gentleness. I clambered through the window and sat on the roof, my jeans brushing against the coarse bricks.

"I'm sorry Y/N." Natasha said as both her and Yelena sit next to me.

"No. I shouldn't have defended them as much as I did. I'm sorry." I said and leant my head on Nat's shoulder as Yelena wrapped her arms around me from behind.

"You were only little when all that happened. You probably don't remember much. You were just trying to do what you thought were right." Yelena said and we all wrapped our arms around each other. "Time for a drink." Yelena mumbled and we all sat up as she produced a bottle of vodka from her hoodie pocket.

Natasha and I laugh as we all take turns drinking the fiery drink.

"Sisters?"

"Always!"