Sweep of Death - Natasha

"Hold my hand." I begged Natasha as I laid sprawled across the dirt and blades of grass drowned in my blood.

"I'm not holding your hand because you're not dying." Natasha said, hiding her face from me and trying to cover her trembles which wracked through her body.

"Hold my hand." My voice was getting weaker as I reached for her.

"No. You're not dying." I couldn't tell who she was trying to convince but it wasn't working. "Do you hear me? You won't die today." Natasha said and brushed some hair away from my eyes. I grabbed her hand as she knelt beside me. I clung to her fingers, gripping them against my chin as tears streamed down my face but I nodded along with her words. "I love you." She whispered as she rested her forehead against my shoulder and I could feel her cold tears run down my shoulder blade as she kept a brave face on for me.

Everyone around us had faces of shock.
No one could believe what was happening.
I was beyond saving.
Everyone knew it but that didn't stop Tony's harsh voices echoing around as he begged for help... to save his oldest daughter.

"You don't have to say it... just because... I said it." My breaths were getting shorter and harder to draw as I pushed out the words laboriously.

"I love you!" She looked me right in the eyes and cupped my cheeks, caressing the pale skin gently and softly. "I've always been in love with you." She admitted and I looked into her forest green eyes. I could see her pain and fear which she could no longer hide as she silently begged for whatever force out there to save me. "I will always be in love with you." Her voice cracked as she struggled to keep her emotions caged and I smiled slightly and clung to her.

"Yeah?" I whispered.

"Yeah." She mumbled quietly and kissed my nose. Her body was shaking as we both held onto each other. "Which is why you have to stay alive." She placed her forehead against mine and I wrapped my arms around her back, willing her to stay, not wanting to be left, petrified of the idea of death which I could feel was tugging me away from life. "We... we're going to get married." Natasha began to fantasise this dream life for the two of us. 

I don't know why she did.
Maybe to keep me calm or to give herself some comfort.
I'll never know but I'm glad she did it.
And I wish we could have had that life.

"We're going to have kids." She continued.

"And a dog... that we can all walk?" I added onto the story.

She looked me right in the eyes and nodded as she smiled, her tears splashing against my cheeks and her tears swam with mine.

"That's nice." I shut my eyes but kept hold of her.
I couldn't keep them open anymore but I'm glad she was the last thing I saw.

"We're going to be happy." She kissed my forehead and stroked my hair as she felt my pulse begin to slow.

I was dying.

"You and me... we're going to have the best life." She whispered and we kept clinging onto each other but my grip was getting weaker as I began to be pulled away from consciousness. "So you can't die, ok?" 

I could still hear Tony screaming and begging for help but he began to sound so far away like I was falling underwater and I was drowning.

I didn't want to leave.

"We're supposed to end up together." Natasha said as she began to cry more and more. "We're meant to be." She whispered and I cracked a small smile. "I love you."

"Meant to be." I whisper in a tiny voice.

She continued caressing my cheeks and hair, willing me to stay alive.

"I love you more."