five

chapter five - birds

Lucy Caddel

"I'm telling you someone planted it in there while we were in The Capitol, I didn't hear that beeping when we left the apartment," Harry said into the phone, trying to convince someone on the line.

He was right though, the bomb was planted in there when we were inside. There's someone else working on the inside other than Falcon. He couldn't have done that on his own.

"I'm just asking to review footage of the car-. What do you mean there are no cameras? It was the only car in that parking lot you fucking idiot!" He yells.

"Harry it's no use if someone's in on it, all they're gonna do is deny it." I grab his wrist and pull the phone from his ear.

I ended the call and shut the phone off. "Where can we get a car?" I asked.

"They said there's one in the parking lot, a black Sedan." He pointed to the corner where it was parked.

"I'm driving," I say bluntly.

He laughs. "Are you now?"

"Yes, I am. We've gotta go to my work to get my laptop." I say as he throws me the keys, running his hand through his brown curls.

I start the car and drive out of the parking lot.

— —

Two hours later.

"I know there's Samantha Dateleo who's in my unit. She works alongside a lot of higher level people that may be a part of this... file investigation." Harry says as we leave my work.

I just picked up my laptop now we're heading to a cabin in the woods. One my Uncle lived in during his time with the FBI.

I ran into Diarra there, I had to explain very briefly that I was going to be away for a few weeks and that one of the other bosses from another location was coming in to be in charge. She didn't see Harry thankfully but I knew she'd be calling to ask about him soon, I knew I'd be spotted with him sometime.

"So you don't think it's Samantha?" I asked Harry.

"It's highly unlikely, she was the one who let me back into the force even despite the framing with my brother from years before." Harry unlocks the car.

I tied my hair up into a messy bun while I opened my laptop. Harry reversed out of the car park and went along the main road to the outskirts of town.

"What department is she in?" I flicked through articles on my laptop from the dates I remembered in the files.

"Cybersecurity like you. She's one of the bosses." He responds. "How is your foot today?"

"It's normal, still stings a little when I walk but nothing too drastic." I shrugged, looking at the bandage.

I had to wear sweatpants because I couldn't slide leggings or jeans over the bandage. Black sweatpants and a fitted navy vest over a white long sleeve. We reached the woods and parked the car hidden and a bit further up the woods just in case someone came here.