twenty three

chapter twenty three - feel it still

Lucy Caddel

"Is yours printing?" I glanced over to Harry who had his hands in his pockets in front of the machine. We came to the library this morning so we could get this thing figured out as soon as possible.

"Yeah, yours isn't?" He walks over to the printer I'm at. It's flashing red on this button but it doesn't say what the direct issue is. "I thought you'd be an expert at this stuff, doesn't your job revolve around printing."

To which I respond with. "No, smartass. My job does not revolve around memorizing unlabelled printer buttons."

He laughs. "Okay okay, I think what it means is it's out of paper so I'll get some." He walked off to the reception that was just around the corner so I just stood here waiting at the printer.

The library was small but completely stacked with books. Mostly older people were here at the moment. It was still quiet though, the silence in the room was making the air around me cold. It smelt like coconut and hand sanitizer too. As I'm admiring the surroundings, I catch a glimpse of a silhouette behind a bookcase. They're freakishly tall and muscular. Not the type you'd expect in a library. He's passing behind the books slowly before he stops and turns. He's wearing all-black clothing so I'm trying to figure out what way he's facing. I narrowed my eyes to see that his focus was on me. Not anyone else in the room. Just me. I looked back to the corner, hoping Harry would come around it but he wasn't there.

"For god sake, hurry up Harry," I whispered to myself, trying to make time pass by. The shadow hadn't moved for a good two minutes now and I was beginning to freak out.

The other printer was in use by someone so I couldn't just take over and print the thing I needed. I needed to figure out how to print this thing and get out of here. I pretend to not see the person behind the bookcase and go about walking around to try to find anything I could use as paper. There was a flyer on the wall. It looked A4 size so I pulled it off and slid it under the printer tray, shielding my action with my body I hoped no one would see. I connected my laptop again and by this time Harry came around the corner with some paper.

"Sorry, I took so long there was- Wait, how'd you get paper?" He stops next to me. I don't say anything except wait for the printer to go.

"Lucy? What's wrong?"

I look at him and his concerned face. "Don't look but someone is watching us from behind the bookcases." I finally spoke.

"You're sure they're watching you?" He asks, not being convinced

"No, I just made it up? Of course, I'm sure." I whisper assertively. The paper finishes printing and I slip it out, fold it, and shove it into my pocket.

"Alright, about five meters to your right, there's an emergency door next to the bathroom door. Go in the bathroom until I come to get you." He directs me, taking my laptop and shoving it in the bag.

"Do you have your lighter on you?" I stopped him from walking away.

"Yes, why?"

"Can I borrow it?"

"You're not gonna light the bathroom on fire, are you?" He furrows his brows at me.