forty seven

chapter forty seven - as the world caves in

Lucy Caddel

"Harry! What are you doing." I tried to call out with a whisper but we kept walking up the long, steep driveway.

He eventually turned around as I grabbed his hand. I couldn't see his face very well since the lights were behind him. He was mostly just a silhouette in the dark with the black uniform he had on. But one thing I could see, were his eyes. Green eyes that had the obvious spark of worry in them.

"What?"

"Have you thought about what you're doing first?" I asked, slurring my words from the cold. "You're not going to waltz in there. What about what happened to you last time?"

"I don't care.The sooner I do it, the sooner it's over."

I frowned. "Didn't you see these two cars following them? They looked like the ones security guards drive. That's not worth risking."

"What do you suggest? Either way, they're going to know I'm here. Just trust me." He asserted.

Holding my tongue to spit out anymore words, I followed him again. The words trust me were ones I really couldn't go against considering the fact he's saved my life more than once. The fog wasn't as bad here but it was still hanging around. We hadn't considered what the outcome would be, but we knew of things that we hoped wouldn't be the answer.

The driveway long led to a grand set of double doors that were made of solid wood and shone with a deep, dark gleam in the light. Harry took a deep breath, squared his shoulders, and lifted his hand to knock. He knocked three times on the wood, each one echoing through the house. The sound wasn't even close to as loud as my heart was beating.

It was a minute before the gold brass handle clicked and turned. The door opened to a tall, muscly man with a dark moustache and black suit. "May I help you?" He asked, his eyes scanning over us.

I swallowed hard, feeling my throat go dry. Harry, on the other hand, stepped forward. Much more confident than I was. "I'm here to see my parents." He said, his voice steady.

The man's eyes narrowed slightly. "Hmm... what was your name?"

"Harry Edwards."

"I'm afraid Mr and Mrs Matley do not take visitors at this hour."

I knew that last name from somewhere... Matley.

"Matley?" He spoke with surprise and confusion. I knew that his parents and him still have the same last name, maybe they moved out?

"Harry," I nudged him. "I think we have the wrong address."

Harry looked at me, then back at the man. He seemed to consider this for a moment before shaking his head. "No, no... I know they live here.

The man's eyebrows shot up in surprise at Harry's insistence. "I'm going to have to ask you both to leave now, otherwise I will be calling the police."

Now I became more urgent to get Harry to leave. "Harry, come on."

I grabbed his hand and attempted to get his attention, but he wasn't moving. He was frozen still on the spot. Harry looked at me, then back at the man.