fifty four

chapter fifty four - finally

Harry Edwards

Nina, who is my godmother that Lucy met, came into my life when I was around 14. She wasn't actually deemed as my godmother until I turned 16. The reason being is that I needed to have a legal guardian until I turned 18 if I ever wanted to apply for any job related to the FBI. My parents didn't want to take on that role, but Nina was all for it.

She was my neighbor, and like any good neighbor, she stepped in and covered for me whenever I needed, while I mowed her lawn and kept her company.

I'll be forever grateful to have someone like her in my life. It wasn't until about a year ago when she no longer was able to live on her own. They transferred her into this special boarding house and hospital that focuses on the relatives of FBI. It exists because many relatives can be at risk if in a public one, so we have our own. There's only one in the whole state which is why it's located just near The Capitol.

When I found this hotel to stay at, I never thought we'd end up next to where she was staying. I was glad but also worried because I hated making her life more complicated than it needed to be. And as she gets older, I've tried to maintain that.

When Lucy met her, it practically put all that plan down a garbage chute. Nina was asking questions and I just had to sit and watch. There was nothing I could do. Although, the good thing was, Nina adored her. They chatted for hours when we visited.

Visiting her again before the banquet tonight was never the plan either, but I needed to.

Lucy is in the other room, unpacking a few of her things. I knew I couldn't leave her here, so the only option was to take her with me to see Nina. I fixed my hair and walked into her room.

She was braiding her ponytail in the mirror and quickly spun around when she heard me walk in.

"Hi." She pressed her lips to a smile.

"Hey, you ready to go?"

She nodded. "Sure, just let me get my shoes on."

I watched her finish the braid and plant her butt on the bed to slip on her laced up vans. Loose strands fell around her face before she brushed them out as she stood up.

"Okay, let's go."

— —

"It's so good to see you two again." Nina smiled.

Today she was wearing a sky blue floral shirt and white linen pants. Her silver blonde bob being a lot shorter than the last time we saw her.

"So, what do you two have planned for tonight?"

I looked to Lucy who was already looking at me. "We have that banquet thing. The same one you came to last year."

I did bring my godmother to it. This was when I knew it was safe. Now, I couldn't even bring her with me outside without being shit scared.

"Ah yes, assuming you'll both dress up lovely?" Nina turns to Lucy with a curious smile. "And what does your dress look like, dear?"

Lucy goes to answer but stops herself and leans down to Nina's ear, cupping her hand to whisper. By the change of expression on Nina's face, I could tell I was going to be in a tough situation. I've seen Lucy in a dress before no doubt. But with Zayn's fashion taste, I was not going to survive.