seventy five

chapter seventy five - lovely

Lucy Caddel

I didn't realize how deep in I was until I woke up with the cold, night air consuming my body and mind. My weight was lent all on Harry's chest in the same spot of the sunflower fields where we sat for the sunset. My eyes shot open to a pitch-black sky with specs of white. It was about two minutes before I lifted myself, rubbing my eyes to adjust to the darkness. Something black slid off my arms, a zipper scraping my hand.

Harry's black jacket.

I turned around to see Harry lying down. His eyes shut and his hands rested on his stomach while pushed-back brown curls had grass and leaves tangled in it. His breathing was peaceful and content as I admired him. I wasn't sure how I fell asleep but I remembered that we just talked. A lot. I guess we just made each other tired.

"Harry?" I gently pushed his bicep.

Nothing.

"Harry," I spoke louder this time.

"Huh- What?" He yawns and pushes himself up. "What happened?"

"We fucking fell asleep." I panicked, dusting off the grass from my sweater and pants.

"Oops." He chuckles with a raspy voice, running a hand through his hair. Pieces of grass fell out as he brushed them off his clothes.

"Oops?" I grimaced. "What if something happened while we were gone?"

"Like what?"

"I- I don't know... what if-."

He brings his finger to my lip from what I can see under the sheer night sky. "We're okay. I'm sure nothing has happened."

"Famous last words," I thought to myself.

"Zayn probably has messaged me, my phone is in the car." Harry stood up and held out his hand. "Come on."

We retraced our steps back to the road where Zayn's car was parked. The stars and moon provided just the right amount of light to know where we were. They set a dark shadow around the trees which was beautiful and gloomy at the same time.

Zayn's black car stood out as a silhouette on the road. This time, I began running. My legs were shaky and one of them was still asleep and numb. My wound in my waist was throbbing but I didn't seem to care. We basically threw ourselves in the car because of the breeze that provided a relentless chill to our skin. Harry turned on the engine and then the air conditioner seconds later. He was right about the Zayn part. He had messaged. Several times. So did Liam and Niall.

"Shit." He muttered, returning Zayn's call first.

He answered within seconds as Harry put it on speaker.

"Hello?"

"Harry! What the fuck, where have you been? We thought you two fucking died or something. This better be a good excuse because shit has happened and it's real fucking bad."

Harry's eyes darted to mine like arrows with poison trickled on the ends. I could feel the poison twitch within my bloodstream, creating an anxious feeling in my stomach. Harry's last words, were indeed famous because I knew something bad would happen. It always does.