sixty one

chapter sixty one - shakes

Lucy Caddel

When my uncle recited me the poem that he wrote for my aunty and him, I always assumed that they were bound to be together. He wrote that because he knew they were destined.

The day she died unexpectedly was a day that I didn't expect to come by and then go so quickly. It was like a fever nightmare that I couldn't shake. She passed away eight years ago from complications with her heart. Apparently she wasn't healthy enough which I didn't believe to begin with. She was always eating healthy meals and exercising regularly so a heart condition was baffling to hear. Especially when she was only in her 30s.

The plan was to get her file and my uncle's out of the doctor reports because I had a feeling it may help. It was placed in here when my uncle was at threat in his job so they used it to maintain their privacy. I never had read over the report simply because I was too young and I wasn't allowed to for obvious reasons.

We parked across the street from my work and I was wavering with anxiety. Zayn drove with Harry in the passenger seat. Liam was in the back with me too.

"Be safe." Liam says as I undid my seatbelt.

"If you need any of us, we'll be right here the entire time." Zayn then said as I stopped at the outside of the drivers seat door.

"Thanks, I'll be as quick as I can." I said with a  crooked smile. I looked across the front of Zayn to Harry who was as quiet as ever.

The color had come back to his face after being pale and tired for about 12 hours and it was good to see. He still seemed not himself though. His elbow was on the window edge of the car and his head was rested on it.

I waited for him to say something, but he never did. It sort of hurt but I couldn't let anything get to my head in a time when I needed to focus.

I exhaled. "Okay, I'll be back."

I shoved my cold hands in my vest pockets and turned my head both ways before crossing the street. It was quiet, like any Sunday would be.

My work car that I drove here on that Saturday in October was still parked where I left it. I didn't have a car at the moment. I was looking to buy one but never had the time with work. I also took notice of the spot where Harry and I first met. When he tackled me to the ground to avoid being shot. I remember it more than anything, but I also seemed to black out the memory as if it was a dream of some sort.

His face in the car was unreadable and it was killing me.

I walked through the front sliding doors and the first thing I see at the front reception is three security guards. Their focus on me sets off a fearful strain down my spine as I get closer.

"I'm sorry ma'am, but you're going to have to leave. This is restricted access." One of their deep voices echoed.

"I work here, I'm just coming to pick something up." I lift up my keycard and employee ID badge as I reached where they had blocked off.

The man snatches it from my hand impatiently and I flinch. They all have gray uniforms on with a gun, taser and other things I can't determine that are attached to their waist and chest.