twenty one

chapter twenty one - ceilings

Lucy Caddel

After some convincing, Harry finally agreed to take me to The Capitol again to retrieve these private records. There would have to be documentation of the records I found under that gazebo in a tackle box. We were on our way to it now. We hadn't spoken a lot about yesterday, it's not any of my business as to why he was there or what the situation was but, today he was keeping to himself a lot more.

"So, what's the plan for when we get there?" He asked.

"I brought a USB so we can download the records onto it." I lift the small, black device. It was about the size of my index finger but it could store a lot on it. They supply them at my work.

"Aren't they gonna see that they were transferred onto that tiny thing? The FBI cybersecurity is very sensitive." He looked at me with a concerned face.

"Not when I do it." I smiled as we pulled into the car park. Harry scanned his keycard at the door and they slid open.

He nodded uncertainly. "And what's the plan after that? I don't think my keycard can get me in the room we need."

"Just follow my lead." I looked over my shoulder as we walked in. I wasn't sure of what to do myself, but I hoped I would come up with something along the way. We're met with two older men standing at the entrance.

"Follow us, Folan is waiting in his office for you." One of them says.

I feel Harry tap my arm and point to a door labeled 'control room 2.0'. "That's the room, it's disguised for security purposes." He mouths to me. Soon enough, we come to two doors. Two familiar doors. A man opens them from the inside and I remember the last time I was here. I sit down in the same spinning green chair.

"Welcome back, Lucy. It's great to have you here again." He smiles, in a way that isn't comforting at all. "So how is everything?" He now looks at Harry, pretending I'm not here.

"Fine." He says bluntly.

"Hmm." Folan looks back at me and I shuffle uncomfortably on the seat. "I hope you've been good for Harry, Miss Caddel."

Partly taken aback by his inappropriate comment, I sat up in my chair. "Do you know how much longer I have to be under FBI protection?"

"It can't be that bad indoors, hey? Surely you're used to it, cleaning and cooking, all that stuff you women do." He spoke, and I wished he didn't.

"What are you implying by that?" I glared at him. My jaw, was slightly open from the unpleasant comment.

"Oh, nothin' dear." He smirks. He leans down and his breath lingers behind my ear, it reeks of whiskey. I move away slightly on the chair but he just steps closer next to me.

I stand up abruptly. "Um, I have to go to the bathroom. Harry, could you show me please?"

"Of course." He nods and we walk out of the room.

"Don't be too long now," Folan calls from the office as we turn the corner.

"Jesus Christ that man has no filter." Harry and I walk down the hallway together.

"Nope. But a man like that is one blind to anything that doesn't relate to female validation." I lift a keycard in my hand. It's Folan's that was sitting on the desk.

"How did you-."

I smile as we reach the control room door. In one swipe, it opens. We're met with a bunch of screens and computer equipment.