eighteen

chapter eighteen - electric touch

Lucy Caddel

"Zayn!" I called out but there was no response. I glanced at Harry as he loaded the handgun in his pocket. I wiggled along the side of the car and found Zayn. He had refuged at the front end of the car, barely hidden. There was blood stained on his shirt. He had been shot in the shoulder. He coughed and sat up.

"O-oh, my god." I kneeled beside him.

Harry crawled up next to me. "Fuck."

We lifted Zayn more comfortably. The gravel beneath us makes it harder to move around. Liam was behind the car shooting at where the shots were coming from."I can't see them, they're hidden in the bushes." He calls out.

"Shit, I forgot my phone." Harry feels for his pockets.

"Fuck, our phones are inside," Liam swears to himself.

The shots from the bushes are deafening against the metal. I feel in my pocket and pull out the keys to the Nissan. Harry looks at me with narrowed eyes. I lean to the door handle and grab it before Harry places his hand on mine abruptly. It sent a shock through my body. He zapped me from the static heat of the car.

"Absolutely not." He shakes his head.

"We're sitting ducks out here. Help me get Zayn into the car." I snap back at him quickly. He does so with reluctance. Zayn slides onto the back seat with a few grunts and coughs. Harry wrapped a cloth on the bullet wound to stop the bleeding, the bullet had gone straight through thankfully.

Liam continued firing shots back at them as I started the engine. "Liam, get in once Harry's in the front seat."

He nodded as I slid into the driver's seat, having my head as low as possible. Harry climbs over to the passenger seat. The gunshots have stopped for now but you can still see the car lights in the bushes. Liam crawls in the back and holds the cloth on Zayn's wound.

I see Louis sheltered behind a piece of metal. If we don't get him now, god knows what they'd do to him because he's been spotted. I step on the accelerator as soon as Liam closes the door. I start to drift around in circles, making donuts in the gravel as it kicks it up into the air, making it harder to see.

"Louis!" I yelled as I stopped the car. He sprinted over and got in the backseat next to Liam.

"Where should we go?" I asked frantically.

"I don't know but now would be good, the guys just got in their car and are driving straight at us." Liam leaned to see through the window. The dust from the ground had mostly cleared up and a black vehicle was driving at us in the distance.

I stomp my foot down and follow the road of the airport track that goes straight for a while into the distance.

"Can we think of something? This road isn't gonna last forever." I glance around them as they sit silently in the car.

"Don't head to Zayn's is one thing, maybe take the back roads?" Liam suggested.

"This car won't last on the dirt road, we have to stay on a properly surfaced one," Louis said from the backseat.