seventeen

chapter seventeen - circles

Lucy Caddel

"Where the hell have you been!" Diarra yells at me through the phone.

"I know I'm sorry I-."

"I was worried sick Luc and you only responded with the most vague answers ever." Her voice finally comes down to a normal tone.

"What?" I don't remember even texting her once, I haven't had any idea on how to contact her until now.

She sighs loudly. "The I'm okay's and the don't worry's when worrying was all I was doing."

"Yeah I um, I'm sorry Dee. I am okay though, I just haven't been 100 percent. I promise I'll be back at work soon." I reassure her.

"You better be. Anyway speaking of work, Bethany has been on our tails with getting shit done."

"Really?" Allison was the assistant manager. A level below mine. She always acts like she's in charge. She's practically the Dwight Schrute of our office.

"Yeah girl, she's about to come yell at me for taking too long on my break so I better go. Bye-bye, love you." She bids me farewell and I say goodbye back. I sit the phone down on the kitchen counter before Zayn and Liam enter the room.

"Morning." They both nod at me.

"Morning," I say with a loud yawn. "What are the plans for today?"

"Just waiting for Harry to get back at the moment I guess." Zayn shrugs at the exact moment his phone buzzes. He slips it out of his back pocket and the screen lights up his face. "Oh." His face drops a little before he turns the screen to Liam. Liam looks at me and clears his throat.

"What is it?" I get up and walk over to see the phone.

Harry sent 8:07 am
'I've been asked to stay back a bit longer, I won't be home till later. Please tell Lucy I'm sorry.'

The air in the room becomes tense. As if I'm missing something. As if Zayn and Liam know something I don't. The looks on their faces tell me that.

"Well anyway, let's go to the drag track. Louis just texted me before that it's quiet there." Liam tossed his car keys from one hand to the other.

"Alright let me just get into something more comfortable." I walk to the room in my pajamas that was just my extra long t-shirt and underwear. Kneeling next to my suitcase, I grab my light blue jeans and a fitted long-sleeve jacket that's a soft beige color. I tied my hair back into a high ponytail and slipped on my red vans.

I walk back down the hallway, adjusting my necklace and rings before heading out the door to Liam standing by his car on his phone. Zayn soon comes after and locks the front door behind him.

"Do you think it's safe? That we're doing this." I walk alongside Zayn to the car.

"Taking you to the drag track? Maybe, but we could tell you were getting sick of being cooped up all the time. You'll be fine." He flicks me a smile before hopping in the front passenger seat.

God, I hoped he was right. I wonder if they told Harry.

— —