ten

chapter ten - in my blood

Lucy Caddel

"Through that door with the green exit sign, that's our meetup spot if something happens." Harry points to the door at the back corner of the restaurant.

He changed into a much nicer suit as well. It was matte black and had a white blouse underneath. The restaurant we are at is called The Red Eye. It's on the edge of a river.

"Alright, I see Alonso. He's waving at me." I slowly walk to him.

"Good luck." Harry says into the earpiece.

As I walk around the tables of the restaurant, I get to Alonso and he greets me with a kiss on the hand. "Evening Veronica." He smirks.

"Alonso." I smile.

"Take a seat, I'll pour you a drink while you tell me more about you." He takes the bottle of champagne out of the ice bucket and pours it.

"What would you like to know?" I let out a small laugh and took a sip of the champagne. It was horrible but I hid the disgust on my face.

"You're a mysterious girl Veronica, anything at all. Where are you from?" He asks.

"Don't tell him you're from here." Harry quickly says into the earpiece.

"I'm from North Carolina." I quickly thought of a place. My Aunty and Uncle lived in North Carolina. It is a beautiful place.

"I've never been, what's it like?" He leans in closer.

"It's peaceful and quiet, I live in a town away from the bustling cities." I explained as he watched intently.

I flicked my eyes up to see Harry next to Alonso's bodyguard. Harry looks tiny next to him. I see Harry taking quick glances to his badges and vest.

"What do you do for work?" He moves his chair over.

"Don't tell him that either." Harry snaps.

"I um, I work in real estate." I smiled and looked into his dark eyes.

"Real estate? I can see that, you are a very pretty woman." He runs his finger over my hand as it's sat on the table, the excessive gold chains clanking together.

"You're very sweet, Mr...?" I say back, maintaining eye contact.

"Flórez, Alonso Flórez." His finger continues to trace my skin, up my arm and to my neck. "That's a pretty necklace, where's it from?"

"From my Uncle." I smiled, leaning back a little to stop him from touching the necklace.

— —

An hour later.

Alonso and I shared a meal and chatted for a while longer. I avoided any personal subjects and he practically poured out his whole life story to me.

"When you're ready Veronica, go ahead. I'm still trying to find the tattoo on this guard. His arms have been folded this entire time." Harry explains and gives me the all clear.

"Anyways Alonso." I wet my bottom lip. "I'm gonna go to the bathroom. I stand up in my seat and wink at him before making my way to the door.

"He's following you, his bodyguard isn't far behind either." Harry says, I see Alonso in the corner of my eye.

"Great." I say back to him through the earpiece.