eight

chapter eight - off to the races

Lucy Caddel

"How am I supposed to go in there wearing jeans and a vest, I won't even make it past the front gate." I say as we pull into the carpark.

"Don't worry cinderella, I brought you clothes to change into." He smiles. "They're in the trunk."

He clicks the keys as it pops open the back door to the car's boot with the back window having two bullet holes in it, on the brink of shattering. There are three bags squished into the back corner. Harry lifts them out and hands one to me.

"There's restrooms just this way," He points over to a cluster of people next to a few buildings.

We walked over and I slid into one of the bathrooms, pulling the dress out of the bag. It's a silk, black dress with a ruched front that revealed a bit of my cleavage. The dress had silver heels to match. There was also a hat in the back but I did not want to wear it.

I walked out of the bathroom and back to Harry. He was staring at me as I carried the ugly black hat that I refused to put on.

"Put the hat on." He smiled, holding back a laugh.

I slowly lift the black hat and sit it on my head. It has 5 different long feathers sticking up from the hats rim. "I look like I'm going to a birds funeral, not the races."

"That's an image I'm not going to be able to get out of my head." Harry holds his chest while laughing.

I smack his bicep. "Be professional, you're my bodyguard. You're here to protect me, not laugh at me."

"Okay okay, I'll stop." He lifts his hands up like he's surrendering.

I take the hat off and shove it back in the bag as we walk back to the car. Placing the bag in the trunk and pulling it's door shut.

"Alright let's go find this bitch." I marched towards the front gates of the racecourse, Harry walking alongside me.

"Where do we even begin with this?" Harry asks as we scan our passes.

"Could you open up the message of the swan they stole?" I say as he nods and takes his phone out of his pocket.

"What are we looking at?" Harry says while I lift the phone closer and zoom in.

"The eyes on the swan are clear glass and you can sometimes see a reflection. See, their figure in it." I point to the small outline of a person in the reflection.

"So we know what their body figure is? Great, that'll help us." Harry shakes his head.

"Look closer, smartass. We know they have dark brown hair and a tattoo on their wrist." I shove the phone in his face

"What's the tattoo of?" He narrows his eyes.

"It looks like a bird. Like the one on the wrist of the guy who met me for the hard drive originally."

"It's a start I guess." He nods as we walk into the crowded bar. There's people everywhere, talking loudly and watching through the window that has the racecourse through it.