fifty

chapter fifty - i want it all

Harry Edwards

Vulnerability has never been my strong suit. It's not because I didn't want it to be, it's because I've never been exposed to it. Last night was the most I have ever felt that way. And it was all thanks to her.

I was hyperventilating on my bed, a familiar environment had quickly become a foreign atmosphere. For the first time, I felt like I had no control over what was going to happen. And on top of that, being absolutely smashed against a wall with my breathing being cut off in that diner, I was in for a long run.

We left our boarding gate and headed for the airport exit. I distinctly remember waking up wrapped up in sheets and her delicate arms. I wasn't sure what came next, but I think she had found something she wanted to tell me.

"So when you were um... talking with your mom, I went to the bathroom and I ended up finding this CD." She held up the silver disc in between us as we walked to the parking lot.

"What's on it?"

"So you remember that voice message you got ages ago from that anonymous message?" She asked and I nodded. "Well they're the same melody, I think it's a song. The pitch is slightly different but they are the same."

"And where did you find this CD?"

She goes quiet. That's normally a bad thing. I had no clue we- ...they still had CDs lying around. Then again, I don't ever visit and I don't plan on that again. I missed Gem a lot but I couldn't be in a room with my mom again.

She coughs slightly. "A room down the hallway. There was glass all over the floor, all the belongings in it wrecked in some way as well."

"And you think that room is where this voice message was recorded? What else did you see?" I asked as we got in the car. I turned on the engine and the air from the air conditioner instantly warmed my body.

"A CD player where I found this disc and a broken camera with multiple of its lenses on the floor." She seemed anxious while telling me this. Like always, our discussion was cut short by a phone ringing.

I reached into my pocket to see Samantha's name in bold. I try to maintain a normal tone in voice as I accept the call. "Hello?"

Lucy cocks her head to the side, confused as to who it is but I shake my head gently to indicate it's not someone good.

"Hi Agent Edwards. I hope you're well. How's everything been? Much easier not as a bodyguard I hope?"

Her words remind me of a thing that had rolled at the back of my mind. I forgot that I wasn't Lucy's bodyguard anymore. I still felt responsible to the role, whether I was being paid or not. I believed it was my duty since there are people still out for her and I couldn't bear to see her be hurt again. I think I was a soon to be target now that Folan knows though.

"Yeah, great. Much easier for sure." I attempted to laugh but quickly suppressed it.

"Good to hear. Anyway, as you know we have our banquet night coming up. You should have received an invite but I know you've been busy all around here in Maryland."

It seemed she didn't know I was at California with Lucy, which was a good start. But I had no idea who could have told her I was busy within Maryland's different headquarters. That was yet to be found out. As for the beloved banquet night, it's basically like an end of year work event. All formal attire and tables laid with different foods from end to end.