sixty eight

chapter sixty eight - waves

Lucy Caddel

He hugs me and then pats Harry on the back. "Sorry it's taken me so long to visit. I had some things to do and eventually I dug into something I think you both might want to know."

He takes a chair from the table in the corner and brings it closer to where Harry and I are sitting on the bed. Our legs are just touching and it's making me feel warm on the inside.

"So I've gone over what we know, regarding your uncle, Arthur and the Falcon person. I first went to the venue where the art show was to look for clues as to who shot Arthur. There wasn't anything apart from a taped up crime scene so I checked the cameras." He paused. "They had been completely wiped of footage."

Harry frowned. "By the FBI?"

Zayn shakes his head. "I'm not sure, maybe someone else."

I glance at Harry. "What about the note Arthur gave me? About someone else guarding the ceramic swan. How do you think he knew?"

Frustration crinkled in Harry's eyes as he stood up. "I remember Arthur telling me about this way before I met Lucy. I didn't think it involved me."

Liam comes into the room, out of breath and holding his chest. There's a cap on his head and his jacket hood is lifted up.

"Jeez, are you alright mate?" Zayn inspects the state he's in.

"There-," He huffs, "There's uh- I went back to the hall where the art show was at. There was a black vehicle parked and hidden that I saw so I followed them on my motorbike."

Zayn and Harry guide him to the chair as he collapses, pulling his hat off to reveal a red, sweaty face. He looks up at me. "There was a man there with the same last name as you."

My stomach churns. "What?"

"I couldn't make out what his first name was, but I'm almost certain the surname was Caddel."

I inhaled deeply. "Was it Jackson?"

Liam nods. "I think so, how do you know him?"

"That's my father."

__ __

Harry Edwards

I don't think I've ever seen the color drain in someone's face so fast. Liam's words clearly took her breath away because she knew it wasn't good news. And she was right. It wasn't.

"You're biological father?" I ask, moving back to where she was sitting on the bed. Her anxious eyes dulled as she tangled her finger in the ring necklace.

"Yeah."

"So then why were you running?" Zayn then asked.

"They parked their car around the block from Lucy's work. They left the vehicle running so I snuck around the back as they went inside."

"Was the entrance through a cafe?" Lucy questioned for Liam to nod in response. She rubbed her forehead. "That's the back entry that was once the front. No one has the keys for it except me so they must've broke in."