sixty five

chapter sixty five - how to save a life

Harry Edwards

I did it again. I failed to protect her. And now her life was at risk. Again.

The blood coursed through my veins and my heart raced with the fear the moment I saw the red seep through her shirt. I heard all four gunshots and the three of them that hit the door, I just assumed the fourth missed the vehicle. But it didn't. And look where we are now. Speeding down the Main Road in search for a way to get Lucy to the hospital and to lose the car on our ass.

Liam looked as if he knew what he was doing so I trusted him to get us out of it. I felt her shake in my arms after I lifted her onto my lap. I tried with everything to stop the bleeding. Ripping my shirt seemed to be the most beneficial.

The look on her face was difficult to witness. The man may as well have shot me too. That's how hard it was.

I handed Zayn the keys for his car which was still parked at Lucy's house. After at least 10 minutes of a pursuit, Liam somehow managed to get way ahead of the two men. This left a very small window of time that we needed to make the most of.

"Quick, we don't have much time." Liam and Zayn rushed out of the car to help.

"Open the fucking door!" I snapped at Liam. Accidentally. I think he knew I was stressed.

I carried Lucy to the passenger side as Zayn started the car. I don't think I've ever felt as anxious as I have now. I was one straw away from crumbling.

"Careful! She's lost so much blood already." Zayn then said before getting out of the drivers seat.

Lucy and I parted ways with Liam and Zayn, temporarily, so I could get her to the hospital. My hand that was wrapped in the torn fabric from my shirt, was still cupped on her waist. I never removed it as we drove off. I knew exactly what hospital to take her to, but would that be too risky? I didn't want to put Nina at risk either, so I just went to the public one.

I noticed she began to lose the color in her face. "Hey, look at me. It's okay, stay with me. We aren't far."

"Harry." She looked at me through her lashes with blue eyes. "Please don't let go of my hand."

"I won't, I promise." I hadn't even realized that my hand was placed partly on hers at her waist. The very edge of her palm was between where she was shot, and my hand wrapped in black fabric.

The hospital came into sight and I halted at the very front bay. The one for ambulances. But I didn't care. I got out of the car after killing the engine and ran to her side. I lifted her up into my arms like before. This time, she slung her arms around my neck as I kicked the car door shut with my foot. I tried my best to hold the same pressure where she was shot, but it was difficult while trying to run.

"Someone get a fucking doctor! She's shot. In the waist. Please help her. Please." I yelled at the nearby hospital staff. Many onlookers watched from the seats in the waiting room.

We were quickly swarmed by an overwhelming amount of people in blue scrubs. They took her from me but I quickly latched my hand onto hers. She didn't return the same grip she had on me before. That's when I lost my sense of whereabouts. I couldn't lose her like this. I couldn't lose her at all for that matter.