fifty three

chapter fifty three - mind over matter

Lucy Caddel

All the moments that had happened when I was drunk, had come flooding back into my head. Harry had taken care of me, making sure I was safe and sound. But now that I was sober, I couldn't help but feel guilty for my actions. I lost something important and he still found a way to steer the blame back to him when I could have easily not picked up that drink.

Before that realization, I remembered kissing him passionately, my hands wandering over his body. When he stepped back and refused to go any further because my stupid and drunk subconscious decided what it wanted. I was lucky to have him still alongside and I aimed to make known that I appreciated what he does.

I looked up from my lap to see Harry across from me on Zayn's sofa. From the window, the sunlight trailed from his knees up to his neck. It outlined each detail of his clothing, including his own cross necklace. I always knew it was there but I never had gotten a full look at it. I do remember my fingers getting caught in its chain that night in the villa hot tub.

Zayn enters the room within the few minutes I was admiring Harry. "It isn't good for you two to stay here any longer. They know where I live now, it won't be long before they come back."

"Yeah, you're right. We should go." Harry stands up and brushes off his clothes. "We'll pack our things."

I follow behind him, grabbing my things and stuffing them into my bag. I didn't have a lot to pack so I managed to finish within 10 minutes. We dumped our bags in the trunk of the car before heading back inside.

"Do you even know where you're going to stay?" Zayn asked.

Harry shook his head. "Not yet, I've gotta visit this one place to see if it has vacancies. It's the place they'll least expect us to be."

"While you do that, I could take Lucy to find a dress for the banquet?"

I could tell by the frown on Harry's face, this suggestion was not going to be liked. "No, you both have to stay here."

"Why?" I jumped into the conversation.

"I'm not risking it."

"You can trust me, Harry. I won't let anything happen to her." Zayn defended.

Harry raised his eyebrows in disbelief. "Oh yeah? Last time you took her to a fucking drag track and you got shot, so I'll take those chances of regaining trust."

"Harry, I wanted to go. We weren't to know that would've happened. Don't blame Zayn for it."

He paused for a minute, holding his eye on mine before he walked over to me. He ran his hands through his hair in frustration. "Fine, you want to be blamed for it then? Be my guest."

I frowned, feeling upstaged by his sudden change of mood. "Yes, I want to be blamed because they didn't force me to go. I was sick of being cooped up and all they did was suggest something."

And I was telling the truth. I blame myself for it because I agreed to go. They didn't force me one single bit. I knew the risks but life came with that. Staying locked indoors had never worked, but we just caught it at the wrong time.

"I see what point you're trying to make, but I just can't take the risk. We don't know who we can trust anymore."

"But what if I trust Zayn?" I folded my arms.

Harry looked at Zayn and then back at me. "Okay, Fine. Go. But if anything-."

"-I'll be okay, we won't be gone that long." I quickly interjected. It was at this moment where I missed fiddling with my necklace. My hands shook by my sides and I didn't know what to do with them.