sixty four

chapter sixty four - waiting room

Lucy Caddel

The bullets were deafening. The three shells clanked against the metal as its sound was heard all across the once quiet neighborhood. A neighborhood you wouldn't expect this to happen. Four loud gunshots, striking the air.

I was shoved in the car by a force of two hands behind me. My body was numb with fear. Naturally, I slid across the backseat but a feeling down below screeched a nasty, sharp pain.

"Fucking go! Get us out of here!" Harry shouted to Liam who was in the drivers seat.

The car jolted forward in motion as I kept my eyes on the back of the passenger seat. The sharp pain continued to penetrate my nerves. I moved my dirt-covered hands to my waist, which was where the pain was. My hands that were once covered in dirt, were now covered in something else.

Red

As I realized, my breathing went from deep and even, to shallow and wobbly. I tried to feel around my waist but it was like my circulation was cut off. I couldn't feel.

Harry, who was looking out the window with a clear focus on his face, hadn't seen. How do I break this to him? God, I'm shot and overthinking it. I'm fucking shot and contemplating stupid shit.

I reached over with the bare strength I had and touched his hand that was fisted against the leather seat. Brushing his soft skin lightly, he turned his serious face to my weakened posture.

"Harry." I choked out with a dazed feeling. His face quickly dropped. He slid across the seat and inspected where I was clutching my skin.

"Liam, get us to the hospital." Harry's voice shakes, never taking his eyes off my waist. Zayn looks over the seat in front while Liam looks in the rear view mirror. My sight is only a blur but I see the looks on their faces. Tears swelled in my eyes, breaking free to run down my cheek. I hear the sound of a material tear before I see Harry carefully apply pressure using his hand and his torn black shirt, over the gunshot.

"It's okay, you're okay. You'll be okay." He says while comforting.

Even with his soft spoken approach, I am unable to regain the control of my breaths. They were now cut short and contained less oxygen. My eyes wandered to Harry's cross necklace. I slid my fingers to the silver and fiddled with it between them as a way to distract my mind from the pain.

"Harry, they're right behind us." Zayn points out.

Harry squints his eyes shut. "Agh Fuck, just- just keep driving."

I hear the grumble of an engine come closer behind us. It tickles the nerves and feeling that churned in my stomach. It was like pins and needles all over. It was a tender and suffocative feeling. A loud thud hits the rear end of the car. I can't see what it is, but I know exactly what it was. The men behind us, bumping the back with their own vehicle.

"What now, Harry?" Zayn asks.

"Take us down Main Street and turn to where we came from. I have an idea." He pauses and looks down at me somberly. The look on his face had given me more pain than what this wound did.