❝𝐓𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑, 𝐎𝐇 𝐓𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑!❞

✩

Damon Albarn, 1999

The Blur frontman discusses the release of new album, and relationship with former lover, Valia Mick

So, new album. It seems like a very different approach to what the band usually does. Why the change?

"We thought it was time for it. Britpop's not what it used to be anymore, there's a different wave coming in and we needed to adapt to it. There was no other way to go around, I think we did well moving forward."

It's a complete shift from the old sounds. 13 is so much more personal and intimate. There are some tracks that just captures the soul. What's the backstory there?

"I think going in, I've always had an idea of what I wanted to write about. It hasn't been a great time for the band, for myself. I wanted to write about all that. The struggles that we had to go through, all the losses we had, that I had."

You mean your relationship with Valia Mick.

"I wrote the songs with her in the back of my mind. I like to think that she has always been my greatest inspiration, and now it's sort of like she's the death of it, if that makes sense."

"And I don't mean that in a bad particular way. Clearly not if she's still the person I write love songs about. But there's just a different intonations to it, just spectacularly sad."

These songs you're talking about, is one of them Tender? It just seems to be the most prominent one. The lyrics are essentially sentimental.

"It's one of them."

What can you tell us about the story behind it?