One | Devil

ARMANO
(Age Nine)

"Why is everyone still sleeping? It's my birthday!" I whined, bursting into my parents' room in the morning.

They were fast asleep, snuggling together on the bed and on hearing me, Dad woke up, lifting his head, his eyes hooded with sleep. "Armano. Is everything okay?"

"Wake up."

He glanced at the wall clock and sighing let his head fall back on the bed. "It's six in the morning. Go to sleep."

"It's my birthday."

"Son, I really love you but I need to sleep for a few more hours, so leave before I throw you out myself, okay?" Dad said gently, closing his eyes.

"I am bored. Let's go out. We are in New York!"

At my request, Dad planned a family vacation to New York City with all the other family members, including Dad's younger brother, Silvio and his wife and children. Also, Dad and Uncle's childhood friend, Cyrus who is actually a part of our family and lived with us so he was here too with his wife and daughter.

Which reminds me...

"I am going to wake Alamea, then we can play," I suggested to myself.

Dad hummed sleepily. "Very good idea. Just don't cause any trouble or hurt Alamea or Cyrus will chew off my head."

I gave Dad a thumbs up even though he couldn't see it as he was snoring already.

I walked out of there, closing the door.

Our family is rich and by rich I mean, we are billionaires. We run a mafia organisation with various side businesses and since Dad is the current leader, I am next in line.

I do have the option to opt out of it, to do whatever I feel like but seeing the power and money it provides, I wish to be a leader too but I don't have to worry about it until the next...well...until I turn twenty-five.

We owned a mansion in Brooklyn but considering how busy everyone was, I was never able to visit New York until I told Dad that for my birthday gift, I wanted to have a family vacation.

My Dad is the best, in fact, my whole family is the best. My uncles...aunts...cousins. Every single one of them.

Well...maybe not Alamea. She is not our cousin but we did grow up together and she can be quite grumpy for a five-year-old.

But, I guess we are friends. Sort of?

Reaching the room where Alamea, Kian and my younger sister, Lenore were sleeping, I went inside.

The three of them shared a floor bed, with Lenore sleeping in between Kian and Alamea.

I crouched down and poked Alamea's chubby cheeks. "Hey, wake up."

"Mea?" I called, patting her cheek.

She frowned and lazily swatted my hand away, still not opening her eyes.

Sighing, I went over to the other side where Kian, my six-year-old cousin slept. When Mom was pregnant with Lenore, I wanted a little brother but that didn't happen.