Bonus Chapter | Four

ADA

Having your sister as your boss is a huge privilege especially when I was busy daydreaming instead of working.

The unwritten email on my laptop screen stared back at me but my thoughts were rather occupied with a certain someone.

I kept replaying the events that happened the day before yesterday. Him spilling wine on me, us getting locked together, him lifting me up on the countertop so fucking effortlessly and then joining me.

The time we spent together sitting there, his arm around my shoulder as we just talked.

It was so easy and natural. There was no awkward silence except initially. Once we had a conversation going, it went so smoothly. We were almost completing each other's sentences, I know it sounds stupid but being with him was so perfect.

We were there for half an hour but when Zayden came to rescue us, I felt so disappointed. It was as if we hardly spent any time, as if it wasn't enough.

I would have gladly remained locked up with him for a few more hours if it meant being in his company and having all his attention.

Then when I was leaving, the look he gave me...

So intense and filled with...longing.

There's a ninety-nine point nine percent chance of that being my imagination but the remaining part wonders if even for a single second he felt what I felt.

The longing, affection and...

No I refuse to admit that word which I have come to realise when I was there with him. All this time, it was just a fascination, 'like', feelings but now those feelings seem to have a label which is so fucking scary.

A tap on my desk had me pulling out of my thoughts as I looked up at one of my colleagues. Jake.

He dropped off a file with a smile on his face. "Hello, Ada."

"Hi." I forced a smile on my face.

He explained to me a few things related to the file he just dropped and then he was about to leave when he turned around abruptly.

His eyes lingered on my face as he smiled sheepishly. "I was wondering if you would like to have coffee with me later this evening?'

My eyes widened slightly. "Are you...asking me out?"

He rubbed the back of his neck. "Yes. Would you like to go on a date with me?"

I have never dated anyone even though I got a few offers. I always declined them politely because my stupid heart was always pining after him for as long as I can remember.

Hell, I was a fucking virgin, I always told myself that I didn't find the right man to lose my virginity to but deep down I know that's a lie. I have always wanted Zaire to be my first.

That's wrong and now I am even more scared of my intense feelings for him. Real feelings with a freaking label on them.

I think it's time to try to move on. Date. Meet new people and maybe I will be able to forget about Zaire or at least get over him.

Jake sounded like a safe option.

After what felt like a long time, I nodded. "Sure. I would love to."

.
.
.

After two weeks of secretly dating, Jake asked me to be his girlfriend.

I didn't feel any sparks with him like I felt with Zaire, I kept comparing them both and it was clear that I was still stuck on him.