Zaire & Ada

ADA

PRESENT...

It's wrong. It's wrong. It's wrong.

I kept chanting that in my mind but even that didn't help. It was as if his name was already written beside mine when our destinies were being written.

Buying a fucking yacht just because I once mentioned that it would be fun to spend a few days in the middle of the ocean.

He is my cousin! Not even a second but a first cousin. If anyone gets to know about this...

"Couldn't sleep?"

Just his mere voice was enough to make my heart skip a beat.

The ocean looked scary at night but I was tired of tossing and turning in my bed, it was better out here.

My forearms rested on the railing and I looked out at the ocean, the moon shone brightly over us.

Zaire stepped beside me, the brush of his arm against mine made my skin tingle but I couldn't bring myself to shift away.

"I didn't realise you were not talking to me." He gazed at me intensely. "Am I getting the silent treatment now?"

"What are you doing?"

"Me? I am enjoying your company under a full moon--"

"Zaire, please." A lump formed in my throat as I glanced at him. "You know you shouldn't."

"Shouldn't what, huh?" He stepped closer, playfulness vanishing from his face.

I refused to move away and remained where I was. "Whatever this is. You shouldn't. We can't."

"Ada, sweetheart, please elaborate." He smiled and it felt so fake.

"Nothing", I whispered. "Please go away."

"This is my yacht, I will go when I want to."

I sighed, looking away from him.

He turned silent but his eyes didn't move away from me making my cheeks warm. His attention always had me blushing.

"Why did you break up with her?" I finally asked.

"You know the answers to everything yet you pretend not to. Fine, I'll indulge you. I was tired of pretending that she was the one I actually wanted."

I didn't ask him who he wanted instead of her. I already knew the answer and it scared me so much.

My fingers were wrapped around the railing and warm fingers covered my left hand, his thumb stroking the ring on my finger, eyes narrowed at it. "And when are you breaking up with your dear fiance?"

I pulled my hand away from him, tucking it against my belly. "I am not."

"Oh?" He raised a brow. "Why is that so? Because he gives you a sense of normalcy?"

"That's not true."

He chuckled humorously. "Please. You don't have to lie to me, cousin."

I jerked away. "Bold of you to call me that."

"Are you not my cousin?"

"People don't have such intentions for their cousins. It's wrong."

He leaned down, putting his face in level with mine. "That's sad, I don't give a fuck what people think."

"You have gone mad."

I was about to walk away but he grabbed my wrist. "You didn't answer my question. When are you breaking off your engagement?"

"I told you, I am not."

"That's not the answer I want." He gritted out.

"Well then, I can't give you what you want."

The amount of longing in his eyes scared me. "Do you enjoy seeing me suffer like this?"

Tears pricked my eyes. "Zaire..."

"Break up with him, Ada." He demanded.

"Or what?"

He smiled cruelly. "Or don't be surprised when I personally deliver you his corpse."

He started to walk away and I followed him, calling out, "Then what? You will marry me instead?"

He stopped and I walked over to him as he turned to face me.

There was no hesitation in his voice when he said, "Yes, I will."

"You can't", I whispered desperately. "Zaire we can't."

"You are only putting off the inevitable." He gripped my jaw, pulling my face closer to him. "I. Will. Marry. You. You better say yes before I decide to kidnap you."

God, I craved him desperately, the ring on my finger felt like a burden.

A tear rolled down my cheeks, his eyes softening as he wiped it away with his thumb. "I planned this trip for you", he murmured, his voice gentle, "please enjoy it."

"You didn't have to..."

"I don't care what you think. I don't need a thank you, I just want you to enjoy yourself."

I nodded, loving the way his thumb stroked my cheek. There were no more tears left to wipe but he kept touching me not wanting to let go.

"So...are you breaking up with that asshole or not?"

I sighed. "Zaire...I--"

He squeezed my cheek. "If it's a no then I don't want to hear it."

"You and me...it's not possible..."

He smiled wistfully. "Here's the thing, Ada. I fucking love you and you have no idea to what extent I will go for you. So believe me when I say that one day, I will make you love me back."

I stopped breathing at his confession and he pressed his lips to my forehead making tears well up in my eyes.

He pulled back, giving me one last look full of pure longing before leaving.

'I will make you love me back.' He doesn't need to try. I already did.

_____________________

There are two more chapters for them, the events of which chronologically happen at the end of Armea's story, hence, I will publish them at the very end, just before the epilogue.