Nicolas' POV

I closed my laptop and started rubbing my eyes. Damn, that was a long report that I just finished. My routine these past few days have always been the same. Office, home and office. The only exciting thing that has happened was when I would talk to Liyah on the phone.

It has been a few weeks since i have been back from Italy. I never thought I could miss someone this much. It's like there's this emptiness that could only be filled by her, that even hearing her voice in the phone wouldn't suffice.

My reverie was interrupted by a knock on my office. "Come in," I called out.

"Good afternoon bro." Cole came in and took a seat in front of my table.

"So what gave me the pleasure of having you in my office today?"

"I talked to Liyah earlier today." He started. A pang of jealousy hit me. When I called earlier today, Belle told me that she's busy.

"Are you here to brag?" I asked bitterly.

"Of course not. Are we a little jealous brother?" He goaded.

"Get to the point Cole."

"Fine. She was preparing for an interview so it was a short call," He continued but I interrupted him.

"What interview?"

"I don't know. I didn't ask. Anyway, I was practically begging her to tell me what happened between you two in Italy but she wouldn't tell me. She kept on saying ask Nic. So I'm here again to ask you about it."

"Stop sticking your nose in anyone's business Cole. I told you Liyah and I are good."

Cole has been trying to convice me to spill out the details of what happened in Italy but I wouldn't budge. I am not telling anyone about the details of my sex life, or love life for that matter.

"That's it? You're good? That's all I get after helping you? It was my suggestion that you go to Italy for Pete's sake!"

"Stop acting like a girl Cole. I won't be telling any details to you."

"But did you at least tell her that you love her?" He asked earnestly.

"Why would you even think that I love her?" I asked him, feeling a little embarrassed. Was I that transparent?

"Action speaks louder than words brother. I know that you have been crushing on Liyah since we were kids."

I laughed at his observation. "You're being delusional Cole. Get out of here and please for dad's sake, stop acting like a girl." I waved him off.

"Fine, I'll stop bothering you for now." He paused. "Anyway, what's your plan for your birthday? It'll be tomorrow, right?"

"I have work tomorrow so I won't be doing anything except the usual." I shrugged. "Grandpa's birthday will be next week though. I heard they're planning for a barbecue."

"Yeah. I'm excited for that. Does Liyah know that tomorrow is your birthday though?"

"Nuh uh." I shook my head.

"Shit. You should have told her."

"For the last time brother, get out." I pointed towards the door. "And don't you dare tell Liyah about my birthday. I will tell her."

I remembered when we were still kids. Liyah never talked to me or even smiled in my way but she was so close with Cole. It made me feel envious of my little brother. Then I took matters in my hand, I decided that she should acknowledge my presence one way or another. At first I would try to go play with her but every time I did, she would came running back to her Mum. Maybe she doesn't want a nice Nic. Maybe she would look at my way if I treat her bad. And so it had begun.