Chapter 19: Why?

1 week later...

Luke: "Damn, we really, REALLY suck, don't we?"

Luna: "What do you mean?"

Luke: "We got our asses handed to us... AGAIN!"

Liv: "Well, we've only been doing Hanako's training. We haven't exactly been mentored just yet."

Toby: "Yeah. Tyler's been carrying us on his shoulders these past fights."

Tezuka: "So... What should we do, exactly?"

Luna: "We... uh, train ourselves! Work on our technique, work on our power!"

Luke: "Well, we've been trying, but we haven't exactly had the best of luck."

Liv: "Moros was too powerful!"

Toby: "To be fair... We weren't actually fully expecting a fight like that. We were handling ourselves just fine until he went batshit crazy, and then Moros came out."

Liv: "Well! I have a plan! Let's take performance enhancing drugs!"

Others: "No."

Liv: "Then what?"

Luke: "Hello? Get Tyler to mentor us?"

Toby: "Hanako's kept him to herself since she heard about the whole Rin thing. No chance we'll be getting mentored."

Luna: "Well... then we get other people to mentor us, then?  I mean... Would an earthbender be a suitable mentor for an electric person like me?"

Liv: "You raise a point."

Toby: "Then just mentor yourselves. We're already bulking up on muscle, we just have to hope no unfortunate series of events happens to us again."

Luke: "Yeah! Exactly."

Toby stands up.

Toby: "Hey, I'm gonna excuse myself for a moment."

Luke: "Alright buddy, take all the time you need."

Toby nods, and leaves the room. He then walks outside of the inn. He looks around Lusni for a moment, and he sighs.

Toby: "..."

He begins walking down into the streets. He stumbles across the pathway that Rin and Moros had left a week ago. There's warning signs around it. Seems like construction. He looks around again. Houses are being repaired. He sighs again.

Toby: "I was too weak."

He runs down the pathway. Ignoring the construction signs. He keeps going, until he's out of Lusni completely. Until he reaches it. Adam's body.

Toby: "..."

He kneels down. He clenches his fist.

Toby: "Why..? Why did you turn out so... evil?  Did... did they do things to you?"

He contemplates for a moment. He places his hand onto Adam's corpse.

Toby: "You were... an experiment like me. Why couldn't we just have... No... You did this all for a reason, right? You couldn't of just..."

Tears fall down his eyes. He punches the ground with his other hands.

Toby: "ADAM!!!"

He punches the floor again. He takes a deep breath.

Toby: "You were infected... The Primalurge virus..."

He grits his teeth.

Toby: "You shared hate for this world too, didn't you?"

He looks at Adam again.

Toby: "I don't know why that "Father" hated. Rin doesn't know either. But he had his reasons, like you."

He grabs Adam.

Toby: "So why!? Why did I forgive?! Why the hell did I forgive people for mistreating me? Why the hell did I not turn out to be like you, huh?!"

???: "Because, you were raised by your mother. Not by those scientists."

He turns around. It's Matthew. He kneels down with Toby.

Toby: "Shadow Prince..?"

Matthew: "Ehh, call me Matthew now. I don't care."

Toby: "Oh... Why are you here?"

Matthew: "Heard commotion went around Lusni. So I came along, followed this path. Found you here. Who's this?"

He nudges the body with his blade.

Toby: "My... brother."

Matthew: "Hm, Adam, huh?"

Toby nods. Matthew closes his eyes.

Matthew: "A poor, poor broken soul. Primalurge virus got him."

Toby: "I know. Tyler's infected with it."

Matthew looks surprised. He opens his eyes.

Matthew: "Well, gives me another reason to kill him."

Toby: "No. He's good. I promise. His one is good. This one was pure evil."

Matthew: "He's a category 3?"

Toby: "What?"

Matthew: "Nevermind, it's not important. What's important right now is you."

Toby: "Me..?"

Matthew: "Obviously. Why else are you here, mourning for your evil brother? Either you're a complete idiot, which is my guess. Or you're figuring something out about yourself."

Toby: "What?"

Matthew stands up.

Matthew: "Why are you so weak? Where is everyone's resolve? Do they have a purpose for fighting?"

Toby: "I-"

Matthew: "The reason why me and that earthbender are so strong is because we have resolve and a purpose. You just haven't figured it out yet. Neither have the others. They might think they have, but they haven't."

He takes a step.

Toby: "WAIT!"

Matthew stops.

Toby: "...Thank you."

Matthew: "Please, don't thank me-"

Toby: "Luke is trying to kill you, well..."

Matthew: "It's not Luke who decided that I had to die, is it?"

Toby: "What..?"

Matthew chuckles.

Matthew: "Tell that fool that he's being guided into failure."

Matthew walks off, disappearing into the shade. Toby looks down.

Toby: "My... resolve?"

He looks at Adam.

Toby: "What was... what was your resolve?"

He continues to look at Adam. His tears still falling.

Toby: "Was your resolve to get revenge on those who wronged you? Was your resolve to make people suffer, like how you did?"

Toby falls to the floor. His only support being his knees and arms.

Toby: "Why? Why did you have the heart to kill mother?! What did she do for you to kill her?!"

He punches a crater into the ground.

Toby: "..."

He thinks for a moment. He wipes his tears.

Toby: "I... I get it, Adam. You were broken. Used as a toy. You wanted those who wronged you dead. You wanted everyone who provoked you dead, because of your unbridled rage at such a young age. That lead you to put mother to her end. She abandoned you. You killed her because of that, didn't you?!"

He stands up.

Toby: "We have more in common than I thought, brother. I wanted people dead, I wanted to kill. I was just like you. But I never acted on my urges, and ever since I met Luke, and the rest of the Peeps? I... I think I've changed."

He sighs.

Toby: "My resolve, huh?"

He chuckles.

Toby: "Justice. I want Justice."

He wipes the rest of his tears off.

Toby: "We were prejudiced from the moment we formed. From the moment we got out of our chambers. From the moment we first met people. I'm going to change people's views on Multi-Hybrids. I'll bring justice for the both of us."

He closes his eyes. A feeling in his body seems to want to burst out. He feels a sharp pain in his entire body.

Toby: "Hrk..."

He falls to the floor, and curls himself up into a ball.

Toby: "Shit... this hurts... this hurts-"

He's suddenly sprung back onto his legs. He levitates into the air. His demonic-green eyes shine brightly and then transform into eyes that only a holy spirit could have. Something bright forms around his head... A halo. His dragon wings change, and so does the pattern. His clothes turn much brighter. Now sporting a white bulletproof vest, a lime undershirt, and black pants, with white sneakers. He lands back onto the floor. He looks at himself in shock.

Toby: "My... my power? Is... is this really me?"

For a test, he shoots a gust of wind from his palm. A huge, white gale comes out. He smiles and closes his palm. 

Toby: "So, this was my resolve the entire time?"

He laughs. He turns back and looks at Adam.

Toby: "You hear me, brother? My resolve, and purpose... Is for Justice!"

He sighs.

Toby: "Luke... Have you blessed me, in some sort of way?"

He thinks about it for a second.

Toby: "You know what? I think I might've been. I don't feel like a demon anymore. I feel quite angelic, if you ask me."

He grins.

Toby: "Matthew, thank you. Thank you for... uhm, helping me. I feel a lot stronger now. I think I'll just have to mentor myself with these abilities."

He takes one more look at Adam. He walks up to him. He uses his new-found power to shovel up a hole for Adam. He then places Adam into the hole, and buries him. He takes a nearby seed, and plants it on where the hole was.

Toby: "May you find peace and love in your next life, brother."

He nods, and walks away. Following the path he took before. Back to Lusni.