Chapter 8: Consumed by the Shade

The cave entrance collapses behind them. Luke and Luna gently place Tyler down on the grass. They sit down beside him, panting for breath.

Luke: "Whew! That... was scary."

Luna: "It was... but we got him out of there, so this whole thing was worth it."

Tyler opens his eyes, he lifts himself off of the floor.

Tyler: "Augh... God... God's sake. I'm still... alive."

Luna: "We couldn't just leave you in there, Tyler. Come on."

Tyler: "F-Fuck man... Why?"

Luke: "You were abandoned, if my memory serves me correctly, we're not any one of these "slime" people, but I want to be someone you can fight with! I want you to join the Peeps!"

Tyler: "..."

Luna: "Yeah, I know this is... uh, very, very sudden, but we're always looking for new friends, and we think you'd-"

Tyler: "Pass. I don't want to take my chances."

Luke: "Wait, with what?"

Tyler: "They used me for my power. They used me because I could easily break down into very hard places to get. I could easily traverse caves and feel even the slightest pressure on the ground to find gold. They used me as their slave. Now look at me... Heh. I'm so miserable now. I don't think I could ever trust anybody again, nor be in a squad."

Luna: "So... were they your only friends, then?"

He looks at her. He seems discontent.

Tyler: "Aye, they were. We made a squad, hoping to be able to protect everyone in this world. But... news got around. Gold in dungeons was a start... Then they heard about these mysterious weapons that granted insane power and were unable to break. Relics. Found in various dungeons. They got greedy, I didn't really want to go looking for them, but...."

Luke: "So, you followed them, despite them using you."

Tyler: "I was just... blindsided by our old friendship."

Luna: "I get you. You were friends before you made the squad, yeah?"

Tyler: "Aye. I always kinda suspected this would happen though. But oh well. Back on my own, I guess."

Luke: "Hey, our offer'll still stand, you know."

Tyler: "I... I refuse. But... Ugh... The least I can be is your guys' friends... You did save my life, after all."

Luna: "I would love that, Tyler. Come on, we should take you to our inn."

Luke: "Maybe, but wouldn't it be a good idea to go after the bastards whom hurt Tyler?"

Tyler: "Those guys..?"

He looks up into the sky. The sun is seemingly on the brink of setting, due to the orange sky.

Tyler: "No chance... I went into that cave at 6AM... It's probably like, 7PM now... They're long gone. They've probably ran off to Runcornia or something... They would've had the time."

He sighs.

Tyler: "..."

Luke and Luna nod.

Luke: "Don't worry about it, dude. You're in awful shape. I'll take you to our inn."

Tyler smiles, he then stands up.

Tyler: "Man, I haven't been to an inn in a while. I'm really... really tired."