Chapter 15 - Year Three (Loop 3)

Grey steam waving on my street

April, please, lower your gun

Blurred dreams playing on repeat

April, please, help me to run

I thought about that Caravan Palace song, as I lay on my back, staring up at the clouds yet again. I was tired . Not like physically, but completely mentally drained. My body didn't want to move and I didn't want to move it either. He'd show up soon. He'd come running up so excited to see me and I'd have to face it all again.

I seriously considered running away.

I had until August. Haibara would die and set Suguru off and by September he'd leave the school. It was only April. It felt like it was always April. Four months I would have to pretend I didn't see Suguru suffer. Maybe I could run.

Sitting up straight I gasped, "Haibara! He won't have to die right?!"

"Sarah!!" Satoru shouted, running down the stairs with a huge wide smile. His long arms reached out, pulling me against him with his head resting on my shoulder, "You're back!!"

"Hey." I said softly, resting my head against his white hair, "Glad to be home."

"Alright shit head." I said, throwing the knife down on the floor in my room, "You got what you wanted. I looped. We have more power now. Explain what you know."

It shook beside me as I drew up the circle of letters again with the yes/no as well. As soon as I finished, it spun itself and scooted onto the paper. Clearly it had gotten stronger, since it's movement was more precise.

"Thank you"

"Don't say that." I sighed, "I don't want to hear your thanks, okay? I'm really not happy about it."

"It'll be okay"

"You better be right." I pursed my lips, "Now, how do I do the checkpoints?"

"Head Trauma"

"Head trauma?" I said, instinctively touching my head, "Like… die from head trauma? But I've shot myself twice and that didn't do it?"

"Cursed energy"

"Ooooh!" I pointed at it, "That's right! When Kenjaku did it he crushed me with his domain! So if I use you on my head then I can set a new start?"

"Yes"

"Okay, but more importantly if I set a new start can I go back anymore? What if I set it too far and I accidentally get stuck?" I asked, tapping the dagger lightly.

"Don't knowr"

"Alright, fair enough. I'll just be really careful then." I sighed, sitting back on my palms, "Well at least I know I just need to get through this once and then I can never have to see it again."

I sat in silence for a while, just thinking back. I was afraid to look into the void again, but it would probably be necessary to move forward if I got stuck. Would telling Satoru even help at this point? I wondered if not telling him right away would be better. Suguru needed to go rogue for the future to move on, so maybe it would best to just play along. Satoru would definitely want to help him if I told him.

"Sorry"

"What are you sorry for?" I asked, looking down at the dagger as it spun slowly.

"Burden"

I smiled a little, spinning the dagger a little with my index finger, "Thanks for that. I really… it's nice to know you're with me too. Even if you're trying to murder me or something, I'm still glad."