The Ruined World - Part 4

“Why is everything so fucking stupid and dramatic.” Ryousei muttered, his hands shoved deep in his pockets and a scowl on his face, “What is this guy, a super villain?” He stood up straight, his hand to his chest in a mocking villainous pose, “You'll know me when you see me.” He said with a haughty inflection, then slumped back down with his hands in his pockets.

“Sounds like some JoJo shit, right?” Akie grumbled as well, “Like, a master villain just sitting in a big ass chair waiting for us.”

“I don't know if that's specific to JoJo.” Kaisei said, “Like I think that's just the card carrying villain type thing, right?”

“Fair enough.” Akie shrugged then looked ahead, “I bet he looks overdressed, like with a suit and a cape.”

“Bet he's a big nasty curse with like ten eyes.” Ryousei grinned, “Maybe hairy too.”

“I think it's worse when they just look like a human.” Kaisei interjected, “Like, how creepy is that?”

“He had a name, as well.” Suguru added, “In my experience, the ones with a name seem to be something more than your average curse.”

The three teens stopped, looking as Suguru put his hand to his chin, “Jogo. Hanami. Mahito. Dagon.” He named a few, “Perhaps their name has something to do with their technique?”

“Mayu?” Ryousei said aloud, “Isn't that a girl's name?”

“Typically, but I believe it can be unisex.” Suguru said with a nod, “The meaning varies based on the Kanji, but usually a cursed spirits name tends to be literal. Hanami was named after the flower festival. Mahito meant true person, as he was born of hatred between humans.”

“Mayu can also be written as cocoon.” Kasei said, looking up from his phone, “So… because curses are born of human fears, maybe it's a fear of change?”

“That would make sense!” Akie said excitedly, “Think about it! Shit has changed super drastically since Mom and Dad died.”

“So he is a bug.” Ryousei grumbled.

“Well, we won't know for sure until we–”

Ryousei stared incredulously at Akie, pointing his thumb across the way at what was most easily described as a furry green worm that had half shoved itself inside of a human. It held something like a blanket made of skin, sewn poorly and barely covering his large thick body. It had six human arms, two of which were trying to pull the blanket up over a second smaller face on its abdomen.

On his back, Yukie was tied down by thin silken thread wound around her middle and arms and her body was partially covered by the skin blanket. She didn't appear to be moving, but it was too hard to see what her condition truly was. In the very least her skin still had color to it and she looked to be just sleeping.

“Oh.” Akie said, her face twisted into a disgusted grimace, “Oh, I really hate everything about that.”

“Don't look at it.” It growled, “Don't you dare.”

“Ugh.” Kaisei covered his mouth, “Don't look at what? All of you just… just awful.”

Suguru sighed as he took a few steps closer, “Mayu, I assume?”

The curse grinned at him, saliva sliding through the gaps in his horrendous human teeth. “Suguru Geto!” Mayu purred, “What an honor it is to meet the swallower of so many of my kind.”

“Please don't phrase it that way.” Suguru said calmly, “What is it that you are looking for? I'd like to handle this exchange as quickly as possible and have my daughter returned.”