Chapter 58 - The Higher-up

It was a beautiful day in Tokyo, nice weather for September. Principal Gakuganji sat still, looking over the school grounds in a comfortable armchair, just thinking. The goodwill event would begin in an hour. His students would attempt to kill Itadori under his command, but he already knew they wouldn't succeed, he knew that much from the reports from watching the Gojos and their band of rebels. The old man had a lot to consider lately. Things had become complicated, and would further complicate as of next month.

He ran his hand over his long beard, smoothing out the hairs as he considered his options. At the moment, he was playing along with what the others in his position wanted. Keeping relatively under the radar was his best place to be for now, and yet he felt compelled to do something. What that something was going to be had yet to be decided, but once it was chosen there would be no turning back.

If he stayed on his course, he was likely to be okay until Sukuna's battle. It was mentioned plenty of times that he assisted in Utahime’s ritual casting of her technique when Gojo fired his first Hollow Purple at the beginning of the conflict. He would survive to that point, he could count on the rebels to make sure he'd make it there. They needed him to fulfill certain conditions.

However, it struck him as odd that Gojo's provocation had slowed. Normally the overconfident sorcerer was constantly in his face, pointedly rude and condescending. But a change had happened in the young man, which meant something else was looming. They knew something more than they'd been discussing where they could be spied on. Something that Gakuganji wanted to know.

Unlike some of the other higher-ups, Gakuganji had proven himself to be more leaning towards bettering the community as a whole. Though he agreed with conservative thoughts in regards to Jujutsu Society, he also disagreed with most of the other's more brutal approaches to trying to get rid of Sukuna's vessel. He of course also disagreed with Naobito Zen'in and his constant bid to try to get Gojo's wife's ability under their control somehow. To force a binding vow on her would be a death sentence, not solely because of how Satoru Gojo would retaliate but because of what his wife knew.

It was unfortunate that lately he'd been truly considering becoming a double agent of sorts. It made too much sense not to. He didn't like being unaware and the rebels were certainly not focused on dismantling the Jujutsu society lately. All of the sorcerers, even some that had no true alliance, had picked up their training. Curses were more under control than ever, almost everyone working incredibly hard for the coming battle. It made him feel something that he'd long buried. A hint of his own rebellion, his own desire for righteousness that had long since died in his forties.

“Principal?” Utahime said, walking into the faculty room, “You wanted to see me, sir?”

“Yes.” He said, not taking his eyes off of the courtyard, “Are you fully aware of everything going on with Gojo?” His question was pointedly vague, though he already knew the answer. He wasn't sure how the woman would react.

Utahime hesitated, “Depends on the Gojo. Personally, I try to distance myself from Satoru Gojo, but Sarah is a trustworthy friend. Why do you ask sir?”

Gakuganji paused, then turned to look at her as she stepped over to stand beside his chair. His eyes flashed for a moment, activating his technique. Because it was sound based, he could manipulate what would and wouldn't be heard. “I want to talk to Sarah about the loops.” He said calmly. His technique dropped immediately after and then he said, “That's good to hear.” as if that was all.

Utahime hesitated again, “Yes, sir.” she replied, understanding exactly what the old man meant. “Would you like some tea, sir? Perhaps you would like to have it outside?” She continued, looking out of the corner of her eyes at him.