Chapter 30 - December 2012

“Alright ladies!” Satoru called from the entrance, “Megumi and I are heading out.”

The two of them were wrapped up in coats and scarfs. It was cold this December, but despite that neither of them would miss a day of training. Megumi was determined and of course Satoru wouldn't let him give up even if he wanted to.

“Be safe out there you two.” I grinned, waving at them, “Don't stay out too long!”

Tsumiki waved to them as well, but as soon as the two of them were out of the door she turned to me, her eyes lit up.

“Are you ready for operation: birthday?” I stared at her, grinning.

She nodded, “Yes! I'm ready for our mission!”

Our first stop was the enchanted emporium of gadgets, where I intended to procure the drone for Satoru that he'd been dying to get. Tsumiki, armed with a checklist, was the lookout, eyes darting suspiciously at fellow shoppers. As I carefully selected the perfect drone, Tsumiki whispered conspiratorially, "Any sign of undercover agents?"

I narrowed my eyes, "Stay vigilant, Agent. Our mission's success depends on your watchful eyes."

Every year, apparently, Tsumiki was followed by Satoru and Megumi and their birthday surprises were always ruined. Not on my watch! I'd set up an elaborate fake shopping trip two days before this one. And I put in an order for a cake so that he and Megumi could go spy on that.

Next, we infiltrated the mysterious realm of toyland to acquire the ultimate gift for Megumi. Our duo navigated through aisles of toys with the finesse of secret agents, deciphering the desires of a ten-year-old boy.

Our shopping list expanded to include party supplies, cake ingredients, and the boys’ favorite foods. As we approached the checkout, Tsumiki whispered, "Agent Sarah, the extraction point is clear."

With a theatrical flourish, I paid for our loot and we exited the store, triumphant grins hidden beneath dark sunglasses. We reveled in our successful heist, our cackling laughter echoing through the parking lot.

Back at home, we transformed the living room into a clandestine gift-wrapping headquarters. Tsumiki meticulously wrapped the drone, meanwhile, I disguised Megumi's gift in layers of colorful paper, creating a gift-wrap labyrinth worthy of a labyrinthine espionage plot.

Taking both the gifts, I opened up the rope trick space and hid them inside with the party decorations. With a high five finale worthy of the end of an 80’s action movie, our mission was a success.

“Nicely done Tsumiki.” I grinned, “What else do you want to do today? We've got some time before the boys come back.”

“Oh, I'm alright.” She smiled, so sweetly, “You must be tired after all of that.”

“Pfft don't you get all worried like Satoru.” I laughed, “I'm fine. C’mon, how about we go pick out some new clothes for you? It's almost Christmas too so you should get something cute to wear to your friend's party!”

She seemed surprised, but then nodded with her smile widening, “That sounds really fun!”

Heading back out, a lot less rushed, the two of us took our time and enjoyed the afternoon. Tsumiki had spent a lot of her life taking care of Megumi and herself, it was obvious in her personality. A twelve year old shouldn't be insisting on checking bargains and clearance sections for clothes. I refused to let that continue, I wanted this little girl to get the spoiling she deserved.

It was hard to convince her at first, but she eventually let me do it. We spent hours, having her try on clothes and picking out a bunch of outfits. After a nice haircut, we finished off our day out with a couple of sweet breads, and headed back to the apartment.