Chapter 5: Ring Thief

[K. - Cigarettes After Sex]

༺ 𓆙 ༻
Fri. 3rd September 1993 - 11:25am...

The first few days in the castle were manic.

'Preparation days,' Professor Dumbledore named them.

The week or two before classes properly began and the first years had settled in.

All the first years ran around, bumping into everyone to figure out the layout of the halls, some timing themselves to see how long it would take to dash between their classes, while others counted the number of stairs.

Students practically crawling over each other to grab their timetables from Professors McGongall, Snape, Sprout, and Flitwick.

I stood of to the side, waiting for the queues of people to die down in the Great Hall.

"This is pathetic. You'd like to think after years of running this blasted school they'd set up a better system for us receiving our timetables." Draco groaned. He leaned against the wall next to me.

"Learn some patience, Draco, and we can grab our timetables afterwards." I replied, my head stuck in my book.

I heard him scoff.

A loud cry of disappointment nearby caught our attention.

I look up from my book to see the Gryffindors and other Slytherins in our year holdings their timetables.

"We're sharing our classes with Gryffindor this year!" Pansy told us, approaching us while waving her timetable.

"Oh, for Merlin's sake." Draco snatched her timetable, his eyes scanning over the page. "This is exactly what we needed this year."

"At least I can spend more time with my brother." I mumble, waving over to Harry, Neville and Dean.

They all wave back at me brightly.

"Whoo hoo," Pansy announced sarcastically to me. "Not everyone is friendly with those good-too-shoes, Jane."

I gave her a blank stare, inhaling deeply. I move closer to Draco, peering over his shoulder to read her timetable. "We've got double Potions twice this year?"

"Snape probably begged Dumbledore for it."

"He probably just wrote him a note-"

"He was definitely begging on his knees." Pansy pushed, lifting her hands up in a pleading stance. "Please Dumbledore, I need extra time with my favourite class this year to teach my amazing Potions to!"

"Unlikely."

My blood ran cold as Snape's voice came from behind us.

I watch Pansy's face turn pale, and she nervously smiled.

"Professor! What a surprise... seeing you here!"

"It's a requirement for me to be here today." He replied, his hands behind his back.

Pansy quickly took her timetable back, leaving the hall.