Chapter 17: Moon Cycle

[She Wolf - Shakira]

༺ 𓆙 ༻
Tue. 5th October 1993 - 11:28am...

Rain pelted down heavily outside the windows - The only noise heard, after Professor Snape had entered the Defence Against The Dark Arts classroom.

We all went quiet, expecting Professor Lupin's cheerful presence, and instead we ended up with Snape's mundane one.

"Turn to page three-hundred... and ninety-four," He said.

"Excuse me? Professor? Where's Professor Lupin?" Harry asked, edging himself to the end of the bench he sat on.

Snape paced the room slowly, giving him a side glance. "Your Professor currently finds himself unable to teach you all... at this time."

I rest my face on my hand, flipping to the page in my text book Snape requested.

Draco copied my movements beside me, smirking into the palm of his hand.

I hear Hermione yapping on about the topic we were to be learning next, and Snape quickly shut her up, by dismissing her words and concerns.

"Silence, Miss. Granger... I will not have anyone else opening their mouth to speak during my lesson unless I request so, or you have been spoken to directly. Do I make myself clear?"

Snape switched the projector on, "Today you will be learning about... Werewolves and other similar species... Skin-walkers, negative manifestations, and other species typically related to unbreakable curses."

He approached the front of the classroom, "Can anyone give me an example of what the Werewolf is typically the most known for?"

A mocking howl-like sound came from Draco, and the class burst out into laughter.

I make eye contact with Draco, a small laugh escape from my lips.

A proud expression plastered across his face once he seen my reaction. His raised his eyebrows, running his tongue along the inside of his cheek.

Snape takes a deep inhale, slowly focusing his gaze on Draco. "Thank you... Mr. Malfoy, for that unnecessary demonstration."

He continued his intimidation pace around the room.

With his hands behind his back, he spoke. "Unfortunately... Yes, the Werewolf howl is one of the main attributes of their kind. So are characteristics such as bite marks, obligatory behaviour towards the Moon Cycle... and so on."

He stopped by the board, writing down a list of homework tasks for us. "I expect a double page, back to back, essay wrote in the appropriate formality style on this desk for Monday morning. Of the Werewolf history, ways in which to deal with one if encountered said-being, and how to effectively spot one."

The whole class groans, and Snape tuts. "No excuses."

"But, Sir - It's Quidditch practice this week!" Harry exclaims.

"Then I expect you make your brain and hands work faster, if you are to keep up with both tasks, Mr. Potter."

I sigh, reading the paragraphs of the page in front of me,

'THE WEREWOLF'
Vol. 13 on Hybrid Creatures
Written by, Evelyn Rookwood

Originating back to the earlier years of Witchtorian discovery, approximately 500 years B.M. (Before Merlin)...

The term 'Werewolf' was created to refer back to a half-man, half-wolf hybrid.

From the Greek language, the term Werewolf translates to 'Man-wolf' or 'Wolf-man.'

Other appropriate terms of translation include: Shape-shifter, Skin-walker, Bearman, Cursed-being, or; Spawn of/from Hell.

European Folklore and Mythology stories tell us of an ancient culture, Muggles and some foreign groups of Wizard kind, feared.

These stories include Mythological Gods, Goddesses and Deities all using, and sometimes worshipping these strange hybrids in their life-time - To gain power, friendship, alliances or even the Werewolf powers/ abilities for themselves.

Actions of self-hatred, vanity and/or unnecessary afflictions, or; self-afflicting behaviours were believed to have caused/ to cause negative attractions and manifestations of the Werewolf.

༺ 𓆙 ༻