Chapter 9: Boggart

[amnesia - Zevia]

༺ 𓆙 ༻
Thur. 16th September 1993 - 10:12am...

A horrendously loud rattling sound rustled the victorian style cabinet.

A boggart.

I stood next to Draco, and Pansy, watching the wardrobe bang and clatter around from the inside.

The wood could have split from the amount of building pressure coming within.

"Now..." Professor Lupin emerged from his office, closing the door neatly behind him. "Today, we're focusing on a rather... hands-on exercise."

He continued, pacing around the room. "Can anyone tell me what type of mysterious being lies behind these cabinet doors?"

"That's a Boggart, that is." I hear Dean answer from the other end of the small crowd.

"Very good - Yes. This is indeed what's referred to as a Boggart. Very nasty, very... temperamental and unpredictable beings." He raised his finger, "Although - We do have a spell to effectively protect ourselves from their tricks. I want you all to repeat after me - Riddikulus."

"Riddikulus." My class repeats, I don't.

I head Draco stifle a quiet groan next to me, "This class is ridiculous."

Lupin clapped his hands, stopping next to the doors. "For those of you who are unaware of what a Boggart is, or what it does - It takes the shape and form of your deepest and darkest fears."

Fears.

My mind went wild.

I immediately recalled the night the mysterious man tackled me to the ground past midnight.

I stuttered quietly, my breathe hitching as I recalled how I screamed for help - And yet, the Professors believed nothing I said, sending me straight off to bed without another say in the matter.

He never showed up again in the castle after that night.

Professor McGonagall had convinced the other Professors I went through some state of sleep paralysis, conjuring up the memories and the story all in my own mind.

By myself, of course.

With no further explanation, or influence I'll add.

"You trapped your mind in the past, letting yourself relive a twisted version from it. And, from this, you allowed yourself to believe in it." She had told me.

We Slytherins always had a suspicion she never favoured, or even tolerated us, however I never expected her to be so heartless and judgmental about a potential intruder situation within the castle.

I guarantee if my brother said otherwise, or the same tale, they would of believed him in an instant.

And that was the sad, and jealous reality I lived in.

Snapping me out of my thoughts, my skin came in contact with cold metal against my hand.

I glance down, noticing the back of Draco's hand slowly caressing along my knuckles.

He subtly grazed his rings along my fingers. His face straight ahead, paying no mind to my reaction, only listening to Lupin's explanations.

My nerves calmed, leaving me to test the waters, linking our pinky fingers together.

I felt him gently squeeze mine, before letting go to cross his arms over his chest.

My attention finally became focused, and I regained concentration of Lupin's words.

"-Now, let us pick someone at random. Neville! Will you join me, please?" Lupin ushered Neville closer to the wardrobe. He whispers in Neville's ear after he announced his fear was Professor Snape.

That caused a few laughs from my friends.

Lupin flicked his wand at the wardrobe doors, and a strange resemblance to Professor Snape exits.

An uncanny feeling pits the bottom of my stomach as I watch, before his clothes change due to Neville's wand-work.

Into a brown feathered petty coat and rather usual sun-hat covered in bird feathers, with a red bag to match.

"Well done, Neville. Now, everyone form a line! Neville, you head to the back of the line!"

Me and my friends forced everyone to the front, taking the back of the line proudly.

However, Goyle grabbed me and tossed me forward. I collided with Ron and he stumbled towards Lupin - Being the first in line, I second.

"Ron, then next is Jane." Lupin announced.

I glare back at Goyle, who gives me a thumbs up.

I didn't pay attention to Ron's fear, too busy worrying about what my own might be.

I've never felt extreme fear before, not until that night.

When Lupin called my name, I stepped forward, clutching my borrowed wand until my knuckles turned white.

The Boggart stares at me, before it twists and distorts.

It disappears.

Everyone whispered in confusion. Even Professor Lupin was on edge, holding his wand firmly.

"What happened?"
"Where'd it go?"
"Does Potter not have any fears?"
I hear some of my classmates ask.

Those questions soon interrupted fast.

A flash from the corner of my eye caused me to stumble backwards.

The man in black and grey dashed towards me, shouting those same words: "Where is Harry Potter?! You liar, you tell me where he is!! Tell me where he is!!"

My class screams, scattering back from the neat line they had formed only moments ago.

"Riddikulus!" Lupin exclaimed. He used another spell to toss the Boggart into the closet and lock the door.

My class began to gossip, and whisper once again.
"Was that Sirius Black?"
"How did she imagine that?"
"What a pathetic fear, he's not even at Hogwarts!"

"Alright, that's enough class for day! We shall all continue this in another lesson!" Lupin silenced them all.

He helped me from the ground, muttering to me quietly. "We shall discuss this in my office, don't worry." He gently pats my shoulder, coaxing me towards his office door.

༺ 𓆙 ༻