Chapter 15: Red Is For Devotion

[My Love Mine All Mine - Mitski]

༺ 𓆙 ༻
Fri. 1st October 1993 - 4:16pm...

Upon our arrival to Hogsmeade, Draco insisted to buying "something special." So we parted ways as I approached the wand makers shop.

The jiggling of the door bell traveled through the small store, however no one showed up to serve me by the front desk.

Taking a few steps closer to the counter, I clear my throat, peering over the counter on my tiptoes.

"Hello?" I ask, placing the borrowed oak wand down on the counter top.

The door opened behind me, and I glanced back to see a dark haired Slytherin boy from my year enter.

He tossed a coin into the air, his gaze falling onto the wand polish near the front door.

I stood in silence.

From the corner of my eye I spot him take a bottle of the polish, soon approaching me. He stands beside me to stare in the same direction.

He coughs into his fist, then spoke. His voice hoarse, yet soft. "They always do this. I come in here frequently for my father, and they always leave the customers hanging at the counter."

I turn my head, noticing the strong features on his face. His nose, eyes and dimples being the more prominent attributes.

I smile politely, as he continued to speak.

"You're Hermione Granger's friend, aren't you?"

"I suppose so. I wouldn't quite call her anything more than that towards me. Why do you ask?"

He grins, shrugging at my question. "Just wondering. She's... interesting, is all."

His comment on Hermione sounding genuine.

A loud clattering noise caused us to return our gazes to the back end of the store.

From between the shelves, holding a rather large number of boxes, a nimble woman exits.

She placed the pile down, adjusting her glasses. "Good afternoon. What can I do for you both?"

"I'm getting a new wand, so you can go on ahead of me." I tell him.

He nods in a thankful manner, paying for the bottle of wand polish. "I'll see you in class...?"

"Jane."

"Jane. Harry's sister..." He points to himself, placing a hand on his chest. "Kage Quinn."

While he leaves, his last name rings loudly in the back of my mind.

Quinn.

It sounds so familiar.

Although, I have not even the slightest of ideas for who he even is. Giving the small pieces of knowledge I've managed to gather on wizarding families since the beginning of my time at Hogwarts, his name didn't ring any bells for me.