Chapter 7: Black & Grey

[Running Up That Hill - Kate Bush]

༺ 𓆙 ༻
Wed. 8th September 1993 - 12:35am...

I couldn't sleep.

I lay awake in my dormitory bed for hours, before I decided to head up to the Astronomy tower.

A midnight stroll to clear my head.

I pull on my boots, and wrap my house robe around myself, grabbing my wand quietly from my bedside table.

The meaning of my tea leaves repeating in my head over and over.

The Serpent?

Is that a figure of speech, a metaphor or a literal person in my life currently?

My mind floods with many possibilities - All uneasy, yet they share good and bad qualities too.

I have a tendency to prepare myself for the worst possible scenarios, so I've learnt just to deal with it myself internally.

Since I've been sorted into Slytherin, everything seems to be going backwards for me, and forwards for my brother - Except my relationship with my friends, and Draco.

Those new found rumours mentioned fuelled my worry too...

It's all some sick joke.

༺ 𓆙 ༻

As I made my way up to the tower, I heard two males in the middle of having a conversation.

"-I sent her letters."

"Letters? Seriously, Malfoy? You can't win a girl over by solemnly sending her letters."

"She liked them."

"Yet, she didn't show up. Which one speaks louder volumes? Her words, or her actions?"

"I didn't mention a time, she probably forgot."

"If she likes you, she would of done well to remember."

I step carefully below the telescopes in the tower, peering up through the circular balcony of the storage room.

I spot Draco and Theodore standing next to the edge railing together, observing them in silence.

Did I feel bad for eavesdropping?
A little, but they'd do exactly the same thing to me if the roles were reversed.

Draco ran his hand through his fringe, groaning frustratedly.

"Listen," Theodore continued. "Don't get yourself worked up over one chick, there's plenty of girls waiting to get a piece of you."

"That's exactly the issue."

"What? Why? Mate, you could be getting action left, right and centre. You don't need to wait around to get in between Jane's legs. Sleep around instead, works out better that way." Theodore shrugged, pulling out a drag from his back pocket. He lights it, lifting it up to his lips. "What's so special about her anyway?"

My breathing hitched. I cover my mouth to prevent them from hearing my quiet gasp.

They're talking about me?

Why? Does Draco fancy me back? Why has he never mentioned this before?

Draco smacked the drag out of his hand, taking his lighter and tossing it off the tower.

"...my Muggle-grass. That stuff is expensive..."

I watch Theodore's shoulders drop, and Draco's expression turned stone cold.