Chapter 50: The Tale of the two Baits--wait, what?

Harry's Pov~

The stuff which Xenophilius Lovegood tasted like liquefied bogey-flavoured Bertie Bott's beans, even though he called them Gurdyroots.

'But what are the Deathly Hallows?', asked Hermione.

Xenophilius set aside his empty teacup. 'I assume that you are all familiar with "The Tale of the Three Brothers"?'

'No', I said.

But a pair of simultaneous, 'Yes' by Hermione and Ron were heard. Looks like I'm the dumb one here. If Y/n was here, she'd scratch my head and tell me the whatever- tale.

'Well, well, Mr. Potter, the whole thing starts with "The Tale of the Three Brothers".... I have a copy somewhere...', Xenophilius searched at some piles of parchment and books.

'I've got a copy, Mr. Lovegood, I've got it right here', Hermione interrupted him. And she pulled out The Tales of Beedle the Bard from the small, beaded bag. I wonder how much it can carry without being heavy.

'The original?', he inquired sharply, and Hermione she nodded, he said, 'Well then, why don't you read it aloud? Much the best way to make sure we all understand'

'Er . . . all right', she said nervously. She opened the book and with a cough, she started to read.
' "There were once three brothers who were traveling along a lonely, winding road at twilight- '

'Midnight, our mum always told us', said Ron, who had stretched out, arms behind his head in the complete mood of hearing a bed time story. Hermione raised an eyebrow in annoyance. 

'Sorry, I just think it's a bit spookier if it's midnight!', said Ron.

'Go on, 'Mione', I said, but Xenophilius just looked out the window, which is just making me feel more and more suspicious about this man.

Hermione kept reading, but one thing caught my attention. '--And Death spoke to them--'

'Sorry, but Death spoke to them?'

 'It's a fairy tale, Harry!', she looked at me like she was about to punch me like she punched Malfoy once. If you interrupt me one more time boys, you'll see death speaking to you two next!

'Right, sorry. Go on', Phew... just escaped death, laugh out loud.

----------

 Xenophilius left the three of us alone in the living room and went to the kitchen where he was probably cooking because of the weird burning smell, oddly bizarre right?

We had a big discussion about the Deathly Hallows in the mean time. I looked at the diagram he drew, a straight stick resembling the elder wand, a circle representing the resurrection stone and finally, a triangle as the invisibility cloak. 

There was a stairway which led upstairs, a spiral stair... Wonder what's up there.

Well, we gryffindor's aren't probably known for our curiosity, but I can confirm it was a Gryffindor trait I inherited from my dad. Despite the opinions of Ron and Hermione, I climbed up.

'Oh', I breathed. That must be Luna's room. She had put up portraits of herself, her friends and oh, I was there too. There was a golden string-like thingy which connected each portrait, which I later figured out was the word 'friends' writtien over a thousand times.

Wait... Why was her room invaded by cobwebs and dust? Luna must be staying in this room right--- Oh shit!?

'Hey, Harry! what's wrong?', Hermione asked as she followed me while descending down the stairs. I decided not to answer her, if I do, she'd be explaining a thousand explanations.

Before I could land my foot on another step, Xenophilius himself came with four bowls filled with something, placed on a weird tray.

'Mr. Lovegood,' I said. 'Where's Luna?', going 

'Excuse me?', he responded like he couldn't hear.

'Where's Luna?', Xenophilius halted when I repeated. Don't ask me another time.

'I — I've already told you', he stuttered. 'She is down at Bottom Bridge, fishing for Plimpies--'

'So why have you only laid that tray for four?', My hand reached for my wand.

Xenophilius tried to speak, but no sound came out. The only noise was the continued chugging of the printing press, and a slight rattle from the tray as Xenophilius's hands shook.

'I don't think Luna's been here for weeks', said Harry. 'Her clothes are gone, her bed hasn't been slept in. Where is she? And why do you keep looking out of the window?'

Xenophilius dropped the tray: The bowls bounced and smashed. Ron and Hermione drew their wands. He also reached for his wand, but there was a huge bang from the printer and many quibblers flew around the room. Hermione picked one of them.

'Harry, look at this', she said but her wand pointed to Xenophilius.

'The Quibbler's going for a new angle, then?', my mind worked very fast. 'Is that what you were doing when you went into the garden, Mr. Lovegood? Sending an owl to the Ministry?'

The magazine had a picture of me, and Undesirable no 1, printed as the title and below was the price money-- what, so now I'm being price-tagged and sold to Death Eaters?

'They took my Luna', he whispered. 'Because of what I've been writing. They took my Luna and I don't know where she is, what they've done to her. But they might give her back to me if I-'

'Hand over Harry?', Hermione finished.

'No deal', said Ron flatly. 'Get out of the way, we're leaving'

'They will be here at any moment. I must save Luna. I cannot lose Luna. You must not leave'

My mother did the same when I was in the crib and Voldemort killed her...

'Don't make us hurt you', Harry said. 'Get out of the way, Mr. Lovegood'

'There's Y/n Malfoy also... They got her in custody', Xenophilius said breathlessly. 

Wait.. Y/n? No that... That can't be... maybe he was lying or something? If it's a lie, I'll--

'HARRY!' Hermione screamed.

-------------

'Protego Totalum... Salvio Hexia...', Hermione muttered with her wand raised.

'That treacherous old bleeder!', Ron panted, emerging from beneath the Invisibility Cloak and threw it to me. 'Hermione, you're a genius, a total genius, I can't believe we got out of that!'
'Cave Inimicum... Didn't I say it was an Erumpent horn, didn't I tell him? And now his house has been blown apart!'
'Serves him right', said Ron, examining his torn jeans and the cuts. 'What d'you reckon they'll do to him?'
'Oh, I hope they don't kill him!', groaned Hermione. 'That's why I wanted the Death Eaters to get a glimpse of Harry before we left, so they knew Xenophilius hadn't been lying'
'Why hide me, though?', asked Ron.
'You're supposed to be in bed with spattergroit, Ron! They've kidnapped Luna because her father supported Harry! What would happen to your family if they knew you're with him?', she asked.

'But what about your mum and dad?'
'They're in Australia', said Hermione. 'They should be all right. They don't know anything'
'You're a genius', Ron repeated, looking awed.

 'Yeah, you are, Hermione',I nodded in agreement. 'I don't know what we'd do without you', I couldn't believe she thought of a whole perfect plan in a minute.
'What about Luna?'
'Well, if they're telling the truth and she's still alive--', began Ron.
'Don't say that, don't say it!', squealed Hermione. 'She must be alive, she must!'

'Y/n?', Ron asked. 'If Xenophilius was true-'

'We must save her!', I hurried. 'Come on! get up!'

'Wait-- Harry don't hurry like an idiot!'

-----------------------