Caller Unknown

The warm water running down your sore back did little to ease your racing mind. While the coarse sand irritating your skin was finally washed away, you could feel the pinch of small glass pieces stabbing into your extremities from getting thrown through a window. You mindlessly turned the temperature up just a little bit higher, hoping the stinging heat beating against your skin would do something. Anything.

Dried blood gradually flaked away, staining the water a rusty muted red before circling the dark black abyss of the open drain. The image of Keicho flashed in your mind once again. His skin scorched black, and eyes just as deep empty and lifeless as the dark vortex of the drain.

You turned the water temperature up just a little more, to the point it burned. The skin on your back felt raw and irritated, and yet you still felt dirty. Did you seriously feel bad about letting him die?

By every account Keicho deserved it. He killed so many people and didn't care in the slightest about it. He was selfish and insane, too hellbent on killing his mutated father to realize just how futile his goal really was. He caused so much pain and grief, not only for you, but your friends and countless others.

Maybe it was that single act of selflessness at the end that left a sour taste of regret in the back of your throat. In spite of his many flaws he had some sense of honor. Enough to save his younger brother at the last second from an almost certain death. Perhaps it was the brother that Keicho left you lamenting about today's events. Okuyasu seemed like a good guy, misguided if anything. He put a lot of faith in his brother, if anything too much of it.

Your chest felt hollow and heavy at the same time, cold despite the boiling hot water still raining on your shoulders. A particularly strong sting ran up your arm, forcing you to look down at the area, finding more pesky glass bits clinging to the skin around your scar. After wiping it away you found yourself staring at the line of jagged discolored skin. Maybe Okuyasu becoming an ally wouldn't be so bad, it wouldn't be the first time an enemy became a friend.

Finally deciding you had spent enough time standing under the harsh stream of water, you turned to tap off and stepped out. Humid air hit your face, causing you to shiver from a sudden change in temperature. The bathroom mirror was clouded by steam, but you didn't bother wiping it off. You already knew you looked exhausted, and yet there was still so much to do.

....

You quickly located the pile of reading material from earlier and spread out the large map of Morioh in front of you on the floor. The small streets and homes wove together in a nonsensical pattern of urban sprawl. Morioh was a relatively small town that had only grown to its current size recently, meaning it's electrical grid couldn't be too modern. You took out a marker and started marking the area surrounding the Nijimura house. The enemy user had to have plugged in from somewhere, and thanks to the electrical grid's newness, maybe it wouldn't be so hard to find out where. As you started marking down the possible places to check, you were snapped from your focus by the phone ringing. You looked over to the table where the phone sat. This was an odd time for anybody to be calling, you doubted it was Jotaro since he just left and Josuke was probably preoccupied given today's events. After a moment of contemplating you ignored the call and turned back to your map and research of Morioh. A few more cycles of rings droned on before you were finally plunged back into sweet silence.

It remained quiet for a few minutes, the only sound being the scratching of pen on paper. The harsh ringing of the phone started up again, causing you to flinch, leaving a stray mark on your map. You didn't get up from your spot, but glared over at the noisy contraption. Spatula's head rose from the place where he was laying on the ground, he seemed equally annoyed by the sound.