Volume 4.5: Treasure Hunt Part 2

Chapter 10

7th August \ Fourth day of the vacation

Yato Pov:

This morning, after the announcement of a game organized by the school plus the student council, many students registered to participate in that game... including me. 

As Gou and Touma pointed out, it might seem crazy to participate in a game where chance is a major factor in obtaining points, but despite all that, I decided to participate with no ounce of stress about my luck today.

Kushida: I'm done registering myself...

As I was playing on my phone while waiting next to the door room, Kushida walked to me as she came from one of the lines to register for that game.

I stopped paying attention to my phone to switch on Kushdia who was standing in front of me.

Yato: That's good, but...You're sure about all that? As I said, I'm not sure Yagami will really...

Before I could say I don't think we really need to participate together, Kushida just clicked her tongue as a more natural expression and attitude surrounded her since we were only the two of us right now.

Kushida: Tsk...You think I really want to waste my time playing that game and spending the whole day with you?

Yato: Maybe? 

She just crossed her arms while keeping her gaze on me.

Kushida: Tsk! Of course, I don't want that! I would prefer to be faaaaar away from you...but you needed to show up right when I was with Yagami-kun and try once again to save me even if I didn't want it...

Yato: She still holds a sort of grudge cause I ended up saving her from Amasawa on the island...She's kinda proud and childish because she doesn't want to have a debt toward me.

Kushida: So...

As I was thinking about her current behavior, still keeping her arms crossed, she just sighed and started looking away on her left to avoid my gaze.

Kushida: Now I don't have any choice but to go through a whole day with you...I have a reputation in the school. I worked hard for it, you know? I won't let anyone destroy it and become a supposed liar...that's why I've been working to expel all potential people able to reveal the mask I'm wearing to the school...but of course, nothing succeeded me, and everything's got worse.

Her words were cold and filled with sadness and regrets... she genuinely hates being in a risky situation, which is normal for almost every sane human being. 

Of course, her feelings are also mixed with a sort of inferiority complex from what she told me last year about people starting to get better than her in almost everything since middle school. That's why she has a stronger sense of hate toward Suzune than anyone else...

Well, there's also maybe me in that cause I played a lot with her last year, but it was different from her relationship with Suzune...

Yato: Everyone has their down moments, Kushida. That's why I told you I'll be there for you when those moments come, no matter what!

Kushida: ...

It wasn't the first time I was trying to have Kushida on her good side.

It all started during the Class Poll when she intended to use Yamauchi and Sakayanagi to expel me. She obviously failed to expel me, but after this incident, I decided to slowly show Kushida what my intentions were and that I wanted to make her understand I was potentially an ally.