Chapter 28

・。

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

"It's good to be curious, but sometimes it's best to leave the past where it belongs"

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

The trio reconvened on the roof of the school. A gentle breeze rustled the leaves of the nearby trees, creating a soothing whisper that mingled with the distant hum of the city. The sky above was painted in hues of soft pastels, as the setting sun cast a warm, golden glow over the campus. Below, the grounds were bathed in a tranquil stillness, broken only by the occasional chirping of crickets and the faint laughter of students lingering in the courtyard. The air was filled with the scent of freshly cut grass, mixed with the faint aroma of blooming flowers, creating an atmosphere of serene calmness that enveloped the trio as they stood together, taking in the peaceful surroundings.

Y/N leaned against the railing, her gaze distant. "So, where do we start? We don't have much to go on."

Gojo crossed his arms, his eyes sharp and focused. "We'll start with the basics. We need to dig into Dr. Kobayashi's past. If she's really Riko Amanai, there has to be something that connects her old life to her new one."

Geto nodded, his mind already working through possible leads. "We should look into her professional records, personal history, anything that could give us a clue. I'll handle the paperwork. Gojo, you can use your connections to gather information from the higher-ups."

Y/N frowned, concerned. "And what about me? What should I do?"

Gojo looked at her, his expression softening. "You'll be our inside person. Keep your therapy sessions with Dr. Kobayashi and try to get her to open up. Don't push too hard, but see if you can get her to talk about her past or anything that might give us a clue."

Y/N nodded, determination in her eyes. "I'll do my best. But be careful, both of you. We don't know what we're dealing with yet."

With their plan in place, they each set off on their respective tasks, determined to uncover the truth.

The next day, Y/N arrived at Dr. Kobayashi's office for her therapy session. She felt a mixture of anxiety and determination as she sat down across from the woman who might be Riko Amanai.

Dr. Kobayashi smiled warmly. "Good to see you again, Y/N. How have you been feeling?"

Y/N forced a smile, trying to keep her tone casual. "I've been okay, just a bit overwhelmed with everything going on."

Dr. Kobayashi nodded sympathetically. "That's understandable. Life can be quite chaotic sometimes. How have you been coping?"

As they talked, Y/N carefully steered the conversation toward the topic she was most curious about. "You know, I've been thinking a lot about the past lately. It's interesting how our experiences shape who we are today."

Dr. Kobayashi's expression remained calm, but there was a flicker of something in her eyes—nervousness, perhaps. "That's very true. Our pasts are a significant part of our identities."

Y/N leaned forward slightly, her heart pounding. "Do you ever think about your past? Where you came from, your family?"

Dr. Kobayashi hesitated, her gaze dropping for a moment before she composed herself. "Of course, everyone thinks about their past from time to time. But I prefer to focus on the present and the future. It's more productive that way."

Y/N nodded, sensing that she couldn't push much further without raising suspicion. "I understand. Just curious, I guess."

Dr. Kobayashi smiled, but it didn't quite reach her eyes. "It's good to be curious, but sometimes it's best to leave the past where it belongs."

Meanwhile, Geto was busy gathering as much information as he could from public records and any sources he could find. He spent hours poring over documents, looking for any connection between Dr. Misora Kobayashi and Riko Amanai. It was slow, meticulous work, but he was determined to find something.

Gojo, on the other hand, was using his connections within the Jujutsu Society to gather information discreetly. He spoke to old acquaintances and dug into confidential files, all while maintaining a facade of casual interest.

Days turned into weeks, and the trio continued their investigation, slowly piecing together the puzzle. One evening, Gojo called an emergency meeting on the rooftop.

"I found something," he said, his voice serious. "There's a record of a family named Amanai that had two daughters. One of them was Riko. The other one... is Rei Amanai."

Y/N's eyes widened. "Rei Amanai? But... we thought there was no connection."

Geto leaned forward, his interest piqued. "So Dr. Kobayashi is actually Rei Amanai?"

Gojo nodded. "It looks that way. Rei Amanai disappeared around the same time Riko died. It seems she took on a new identity—Misora Kobayashi."

Y/N's mind raced as she tried to process the information. "But why would she do that? And why doesn't she remember anything about her past?"

Gojo's expression was grim. "That's what we need to find out. There has to be a reason she took on this new identity and suppressed her memories. And we need to be careful. If someone went to these lengths to hide her past, there might be more at play than we realize."

Geto nodded in agreement. "We need to dig deeper. There might be people who don't want the truth to come out."

Y/N looked determined. "I'll keep trying to get her to open up. Maybe there's something she remembers, even if she doesn't realize it."

With a clearer understanding of who Dr. Misora Kobayashi really was, the trio felt a renewed sense of purpose. The truth was within their grasp, and they were more determined than ever to uncover it.

── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ──